I've Had It! (Drill Chuck Blues)

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've been doing a lot of drilling and tapping on the mill. Mostly 10-32 in moderately hard lathe tool shanks and holders. I have a nice Albrecht chuck, but they're not much good for tapping, so I've been using my keyed chuck. It's a Ridgid Supreme 15T33, and it is pretty much useless. No matter how hard I tighten it, a 10-32 SP tap will slip. I can't seem to find a rebuild kit for it, so I guess I'm in the market for a new chuck. Looking for recommendations for a reasonably priced keyed chuck with Jacobs taper or integral straight shank (5/8 or 3/4).

Can you explain what you need Whoop ?

What kind of tap? And how big are you drilling the hole?

tapping with a drill chuck is a sport all into its own. Having said that, I continue to be impressed with the gripping ability of the Jacobs super ball bearing chucks. Seems like the bigger the chuck the tighter it holds so if I was looking to use small taps in a drill chuck I would likely reach for the half inch super ball bearing. If you buy used then obviously the jaws must be in good health.
A bit tedious but have you considered grinding 3 flats in the back of the tap?

We tap with Albrecht all the time, there is a stupid trick.

Our BP has a spindle brake, we use that to hold the spindle, then hand tighten the chuck.

This is important for small drill bits as well, we have had some come loose due to minimal drilling forces.

Also, grip the knurled disk above the chuck and not the coller.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

One inexpensive solution is to use a tap holder made for a chuck...mine has a socket which the chuck holds, and a tap wrench that fits into the socket. So the chuck only has to lightly hold the socket, not the tap. Makes for easier turning, also. Here is one source: https://www.penntoolco.com/precise-precision-tap-wrench-with-guide/

Last edited:
Use a tap drill size a few thuo larger? I'm assuming you are power tapping. I use a 1/2" keyless & tighten with a pin spanner that came with the chuck, works!

It was a spiral point R&N tap (actually 3 of them). I was using a #21 drill (.159), went as far up a .166, no joy. Admittedly, the tool holder is hard, but I had no problem drilling the holes and a tap that size should break before it slips in the chuck. I am hand tapping, the holes are blind and I don't want to be dealing with a broken tap buried in the part.

I ordered an import ball bearing chuck and straight shank, just couldn't bring myself to drop $250 for a 14N. It's only a drill chuck. Will report back.

Reiff and Nester ? Are you pushing the chips down into the hole or pulling them out .

Back