I've Had It! (Drill Chuck Blues)

Have you considered an r8-er adapter and a tap collet? Those will not spin. I haven't tried to power tap in the mill but they work with an er adapter in the lathe tail stock.

Did you try an aluminium tube as a split bush, I never have much luck with a drill chuck holding hardened tapps.

Stu

Reiff and Nester ? Are you pushing the chips down into the hole or pulling them out .
Yes, Reiff and Nestor. Push first, then pull the chips out. I wouldn't dare try a spiral flute tap in this stuff.
I have to drill through the bottom of the tool slot (from above). Four of the five parts are too hard to drill with HSS. Ordered carbide. Fortunately, I don't have to tap that hole.

We tap with Albrecht all the time, there is a stupid trick.

Our BP has a spindle brake, we use that to hold the spindle, then hand tighten the chuck.

This is important for small drill bits as well, we have had some come loose due to minimal drilling forces.

Also, grip the knurled disk above the chuck and not the coller.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Yeah, I have done this thousands of times with only one issue, sometimes you can’t back the tap out without the chuck releasing.

Not sure I would use anything else under 5/16” either.

(Drill Chuck Blues)​

I searched you tube but couldn't find it , but I like the title . :encourage:

Not sure why a chuck can't hold a tap . I would think a drill vs tap pressure would be the same . :dunno:

Make your own holders. Drill most of the way into a mild steel round bar 1144 is good at the back end mill a slot to fit the square so it holds on two sides and now you have a holder that won't slip.

edit: go find part 1 for this: This is the actual video.

Last edited:
All the other suggestions are still hardened holders and may slip in the jaws.

Back