It's all I can stands can't stands no more

Do realize there are brands like Dorian and Aloris which I believe are made in the USA -at least they used to be; I don't know if they still are. Anyhow, those were the original versions of those tools. The patent is long expired and good quality copies are made by others -and this is the nature of the game when it comes to patents...

Ray

Thats just what I needed to know. Thank you

Went to tool for cheep to order the 100 series tool post holder but they are out of them. They have the 200 series that fits a 10 to 15 in swing . Mine is a South Bend tool room 10L. Do yall think the 200 is to big for my lathe. Sorry for all the questions just want to get it right the frist time for once.

My guess is that the AXA is the ideal size. I do not have a SB 10" lathe but, had a different 10" lathe and the AXA was perfect. A BXA on a 10" lathe is like using a 50 BMG to shoot a deer at 25 yards. I now have a modern 12" lathe and still feel the AXA is a perfectly suitable size and I often switch back/forth between AXA and BXA.

Ray

Went to tool for cheep to order the 100 series tool post holder but they are out of them. They have the 200 series that fits a 10 to 15 in swing . Mine is a South Bend tool room 10L. Do yall think the 200 is to big for my lathe. Sorry for all the questions just want to get it right the frist time for once.

You might find that the BXA sits a little too high for your lathe, as the larger tool posts are designed for larger lathes with bigger swing. So, measure the distance from the top of your compound to the center of your spindle, then check with the vendor to see if the BXA will work with that distance or not. On the other hand, even if they are out of the AXA right now, you might want to ask how long it will be before they expect to have some in stock.

The patent is long expired and good quality copies are made by others -and this is the nature of the game when it comes to patents.

The theft of intellectual property occurs long before patents expire. KDK has been in business since sometime in the 50's is/was considered the industry standard & originator of the qctp. Those venerable old line companies are falling one by one & their lines are being replaced by identical (quality not withstanding) products. With tooling, I buy new if I can afford it, used if I can't but never Chinese.

The theft of intellectual property occurs long before patents expire.

Infringement, not theft. It is not possible to steal an intangible statutory right. There is nothing to there that one can be deprived of possession of.

I have a GO602 10" X 22" and I bought a Phase II AXA 100 from Enco. If you watch Enco, they will sometimes have a 20% deal day/catalog and that will take away some of the sting on a large purchase. As Wermie already said, the Phase II is probably your best bet for the price and your needs as a hobbyist. I bought the wedge type and have been completely happy with it for years now. I also purchased an extra tool holder (reasonably priced, as opposed to Aloris or other Cadillac brands) to minimize changing heights between tool bit sizes.

I keep 2 holders set for 1/2" tools and 2 set for 1/4" tools for smaller/tighter work. I primarily use HSS because it's easy to shape and keep sharp, and it cost a lot less. It also provides a better finish on most of the material I work with. I keep 2 lefts, 2 rights and 2 center cuts for each size, and I keep a couple of spare blanks for the occasional custom application. I've got a bunch of carbide stuff too, but find I that I just don't use it.

Infringement, not theft. It is not possible to steal an intangible statutory right. There is nothing to there that one can be deprived of possession of.

That's splitting hairs. A design & all that entails is tangible.

Back