It's all I can stands can't stands no more

mirage100

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have what I have been told is a South bend Tool Room lathe. I has a tool holder that will hold four bits but you have to shim them up. I am so tired of have to do this so now it is time for a new tool holder .Will any one please tell me what I need and where to get it.I would like a complete kit with everything I need to change this over to a indexable tool holder. Thanks so much for yall's time .

It sounds like you need a Quick Change Toolpost. Aloris is one of the more popular brands. Check with McMaster Carr or Enco or others I'm sure.

What you need to know is the size of your lathe, the distance for center of the spindle to the top of the compound slide. This will give you a place to start looking my lathe is a 13" swing and if you go by what the venders would like to sell you I should use a CXC or 300, but due to the height of my compound slide I have a BXB or 200 piston type. Now I have a 400 piston type that I can just barely fit but only use it for the 1 1/4" bore bar. You can go to Aloris web site to get the specs for the size you need it was to big to attach but just be sure what ever you get you can get your tool bit low enough to be on center I've milled a couple of my BXB holders to hold the bigger tools and milled so tools to fix the holders just to get the right height for the tool. A lot of places to get them or you can make a QCTH the tool blocks on mine are hardened so I've been getting them from http://cdcotools.com/ $9-10 a piece I can't make them for that. Good luck I hope this was of some good to you.

Todd

With a 10" swing you will more than likely need an AXA or 100 series Quick Change Tool Post (QCTP). As mentioned, Aloris makes one and can be purchased through any number of vendors. Phase II also makes one for somewhat less money. The Aloris is American made, the Phase II is either Chinese or Taiwanese, I don't remember which. I have used both, and find that the Phase II in most cases will do the job without a problem.

There are two kinds of tool post in addition to the different brands: Piston type and Wedge type. The piston type has a rod or piston that pokes out from the side of the tool post and pushes the tool holder against the dovetails to tighten it up. They generally seem to be plenty solid. The wedge type is constructed in such a way that one of the dovetails can move in an angled fashion, something like a wedge. When the post is tightened up, the wedge tightens up against the dovetails of the tool holder itself, locking it in place.

Differences?? The piston type is generally a bit less expensive than the wedge type, but the wedge type is claimed to offer better repeatability and may even be a bit more solid, reducing the chance for chatter. Both types of toolpost use the same toolholders.

As I said before, I have used an Aloris, and it was wonderful. When I purchased one for my 10" Logan, I purchased a Phase II wedge type. Phase II fit into my budget much better, but I did splurge the extra ten or fifteen bucks to get the wedge type. I have no complaints, it serves me well.

I purchased a quick change tool post from Smithy company - the one that makes the 3 in 1 machines. I have used it for almost a year, and have purchased additional tool mounts from Shars, CDCO, and Grizzly without any problems or the need to make modifications. Smithy also offers the tool mounts and parts like additional Chicago Bolts and other necessary bolts and things. I ordered a AXA - 100 tool post set for my 13 inch lathe and love it. Smithy also has a GREAT technical assistance team that goes above and beyond to help with any "Problems".:thumbzup:

I looked at the Aloris and they look GREAT. I really like the one that holds 4 bits. This is a hobby for me so I will go with something a little bit more econimical.

Thanks for all the info. This stuff is way out of my league
Get on Ebay and buy a Chinese one. They're fine. For about $100, you'll get the QCTP and 4-5 holders. The Chinese ones are fine for us hobby guys. Discounttool on Ebay. Which is Shars. They have decent stuff at a great price. You'll be in heaven with a QCTP. Thats the first thing i did when I got my SB9 lathe a few years back.

Marcel

Back