It's all I can stands can't stands no more

I agree with Marcel, I think you'll be happy with a Shars QCTP setup. If you were using your lathe all day long for commercial purposes, I could see going with an Aloris or Dorian, but for hobby use you will be quite happy with a Shars or a Phase II. Then if you need more tool holders, try cdcotools.com, you can get them there individually for ten to fifteen dollars a piece.

Thanks for all the info. This stuff is way out of my league

I understand I gave that to you because they show the tool with dimensions so you can figure which is the best size for you to use. I've got mine because they came with my lathe so why buy new one I just buy holders.

Todd

I looked at the Aloris and they look GREAT. I really like the one that holds 4 bits. This is a hobby for me so I will go with something a little bit more econimical.

Start watching ebay for a used KDK 100 series. Made in the US & every bit the quality of Aloris. I prefer it because it doesn't have that long clunky handle. Unfortunately KDK recently closed their doors due to unfair competition of Chinese knock offs of their products.

David

As Wermie says,a size A or possibly a B size tool post will fit your 10" lathe. The piston type is always cheaper. The wedge type is better,but for the size and power of your lathe,the piston type will be far stronger than you need. Unless you are trying to make money mass producing lots of the same parts,don't worry about repeatability. And,if you are,you should be using a CNC anyway.

The wedge type tool post sucks the tool holder toward itself. Then,the wedge,dovetail surfaces jam tightly together,but,the flat surfaces on either side of the tool holder such up tight against the tool holder. All the surfaces are in tight contact with the holder. The piston type pushes the tool holder away from the tool post,so only the dovetailed surfaces are in tight contact. It is less rigid,but your lathe is not powerful enough to cause appreciable flexing of the tool holder.

I was stubborn for years,thinking the old lantern type tool post was more able to get tools into various corners,etc. I even made a hardened,very nice lantern type post for my 16" lathe. Lapped the threads in. No slop at all.

But,when a used Aloris came along,I got it and a bunch of holders from a company that went out of business. The improvement in rigidity was huge!! I never use a lantern type at all any more. You will not look back either.

Dropping on a pre adjusted tool that is set for the perfect height is so much faster than diddling with a lantern type,OR those 4 position blocks that import lathes seem to come with (I use a lot more than 4 tools!). You have to shim those up to height,too.

Thanks guys yall have been a HUGE help. Going to check ebay just to see if I can grab a USA made holder. Then to the Chinese made ones. I looked at the Grizzlys one and was wondering if they are any better than the Shars . They want a lot more money for them.

Many of these things are made at the same factories in China and re-branded with the names of different distributors. Trust me on this, I have a lot of first-hand knowledge about importing from China with specific information about several of the tool industries.

That said, the house brand from Jeff at www.tools4cheap.net is my hands-down favorite. Others have mentioned getting additional holders from CDCO or Shars... They are OK but not great. The ones from Jeff are full-length and support the bit better.

Ray

Thanks guys yall have been a HUGE help. Going to check ebay just to see if I can grab a USA made holder. Then to the Chinese made ones. I looked at the Grizzlys one and was wondering if they are any better than the Shars . They want a lot more money for them.

Many of these things are made at the same factories in China and re-branded with the names of different distributors. Trust me on this, I have a lot of first-hand knowledge about importing from China with specific information about several of the tool industries.

That said, the house brand from Jeff at www.tools4cheap.net is my hands-down favorite. Others have mentioned getting additional holders from CDCO or Shars... They are OK but not great. The ones from Jeff are full-length and support the bit better.

Ray

Thats just what I needed to know. Thank you

I agree toolsfor cheap is a grait guy to deal with and he stands behind hs product and as said seams to have the best of the inports.

OP

I too have the same tool post you have and got tired of shimming cutters to height and to get them angled. I want a tool post like you're asking about but don't have the money for it. This was my answer. It works well. Just make sure there's enough screw in the bottom so the threads hold. I haven't done any heavy cutting with it either just lite cuts. I probably would have to shim a cutter if I got something that needed heavier cutting.

I use a ball end allen wrench to adjust the screws.

attachment.php?attachmentid=59114&d=1381559234&thumb=1.jpg

Here's my thread on it.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/17243-Tool-post-modification

Back