It Sucks 2B Me

Place the vfd in a vented box.

Built a frame that uses existing bolts for chip tray.

Added a foot bar that activates the stop function.

Vent holes on bottom of the housing that is below and in center so very safe.
86e6b07ee7e237612eb313e91b291f57.jpg
14849faf5e9b18a886febc77ecae1737.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Where did that enclosure come from? I'm looking for the perfect enclosure for an important project, and that one looks ideal.

Where did that enclosure come from? I'm looking for the perfect enclosure for an important project, and that one looks ideal.
I know you weren't referencing my post, but my enclosure is a Vevor Brand. I have found that their prices beat pretty much everyone else. These may not be Hoffman quality enclosures, but I am very happy with mine. I believe I ordered it direct but they do sell some of their products on Amazon.

My VFD is (was) quite a bit higher than the mill table. I just mounted it right out of the box and never thought a chip would fall in the top. I guess I'll have to do better with the replacement.

Attachments

• DSC_0869.JPG
    DSC_0869.JPG
    613.5 KB · Views: 15
Show off. Nobody keeps their metal separated that nicely.

Cutting oil is my blood.
Ha, I suffered for years with a huge morass of scrap metal, then finally separated it and organized it into bins. Life in the shop is much easier now!

Oh give me a break, its usually not that bad. It was a time crunch situation when I had to crank out a couple of jobs fast. Most of the chips were plastic.
Don't take it to heart Eddy. My machine had 3 times the chips and I was only half way thru one job!
Ed P

I know you weren't referencing my post, but my enclosure is a Vevor Brand. I have found that their prices beat pretty much everyone else. These may not be Hoffman quality enclosures, but I am very happy with mine. I believe I ordered it direct but they do sell some of their products on Amazon.
Thanks for that tip, best prices by far!

I count myself lucky on this one… I installed on the side temporarily and used the mill to test… as soon as I saw chips flying everywhere I turned off the machine…

7E1F5A2A-28A3-4D6B-9594-AE972E92724C.jpeg

Got a box/enclosure from Amazon, added two fans, and installed it on the back of mill…

5A59E467-D625-4E51-9327-E3CA0FCAE219.jpeg

Last edited:
Used to ride with some guys that were going through the training school at Cincinnati Milacron. Pretty cool deal; you went to class and got paid for it.
One of them got booted out for blowing the chips off a machine. First offense and gone. I thought harsh until one of them explained to me that chips would get in the ways and such; apparently causing undue wear.
My airgun lays unused, and a chip brush stays ready.

Brush or vacuum, never compressed air.

Besides the possible machine/electrical problems, all you need is for a chip to even graze your cornea and you’ll be in agony for days.

Happened to me once despite wearing safety glasses and shields. Not sure if I rubbed my eye or if it was just a freak occurrence, but I was damned near blind within an hour. I wasn’t using air to blow the chips off, it was just a thrown chip but air could have done the same thing.

I actually think I remeber a chip hitting my forehead just before my eye acted up, so maybe it was just a freak occurrence where it ran down my face behind my glasses.

It got so bad the wife had to come home and take me to the emergency room where they numbed it with drops and gave me an eye cream to help it heal. Nice scratch right on the cornea. Nothing imbedded, just a scratch.

It was an experience I NEVER want to have again…no compressed air. Anywhere. Ever.

Back