It Sucks 2B Me

Place the vfd in a vented box.

Built a frame that uses existing bolts for chip tray.

Added a foot bar that activates the stop function.

Vent holes on bottom of the housing that is below and in center so very safe.
86e6b07ee7e237612eb313e91b291f57.jpg
14849faf5e9b18a886febc77ecae1737.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I got the the mid stage of a milling job and looked at my tooling all covered with chips. Wanting to be neat like the guys on this site I decided to blow my tools off at 40psi and vacuum the area. As soon as the air hit the first tool there was a rifle shot and a mushroom cloud from my VFD. Upon disassembly I found three places where heavy wiring had vaporized leaving 3/4 inch diameter black circles. One of these was a lead on an IC. TOAST! Ordered another VFD. I was about 2 feet below the unit yet the chip had gone in thru a cooling grate on the top. Yup, it sucks 2B me!

I spent considerable time and expense enclosing the VFD for my South Bend 13" lathe in a fan cooled metal enclosure. I have been considering just mounting the VFD for my mill up and out of the way (I currently run it on a RPC). Your post confirmed for me that the work and expense of an enclosure is a good investment.

Sorry to hear about your melt down!

I made sure to locate the lathe VFD enclosure well above the headstock, to prevent chip entry.

The VFD on my PM mill is located well off on the left side ... but I think I might have to cover the openings (shown in the second photo of my previous post) with some tape, to be absolutely sure that no chips get in.

I built my VFD enclosure with an input fan on the bottom and an output fan on top. Both have filters in place over the fans.

The input fan on the bottom has a higher cfm rating than the output, to maintain positive pressure inside the enclosure.

An added benefit of this setup is that you never have to clean the inside of the enclosure.

My theory with this design was that any chips small enough to pass through that filter gets pushed away by the air outflow. Big chips just land on the filter and get shop vac'ed off later.

It seems to be working. After 2 years of use, there isn't a spec of dust inside.

I would have put the fans on the sides, but the vertical fins on the Teco L510 heatsink work better with air flowing vertically through the fins.

Last edited:
I would never put a vent on top of an enclosure in a shop environment.
I recently added a VFD and a power supply to my Sharp mill. The exhaust is on the front of the cabinet but not facing toward the mill. I designed the louvered cover, and 3D printed it. The intake is on the back side of the mill, also protected by a 3D-printed fan guard.

Attachments

• IMG_20220814_113246407.jpg
    IMG_20220814_113246407.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220814_113329615.jpg
    IMG_20220814_113329615.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220814_113450783.jpg
    IMG_20220814_113450783.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 13
Back