It Sucks 2B Me

I've swore off compressed air because it jams swarf in all the wrong places...

I found the brushes etc. just take forever to clean up. SOOO, I got the biggest strongest shop vac made and vacuum everything up. the one i use has a huge hose and fits on a 55 gallon drum.

I also use a magnetic broom for the floor. None of my machines have enclosures so lot of swarf hits the floor. Works great unless cutting AL.

Where did that enclosure come from? I'm looking for the perfect enclosure for an important project, and that one looks ideal.
We got it at a electrical supply surplus supply.

Local electric motor shop has huge bone yard and we found it there.

These are common things, come in many shapes and sizes.

Amazon and ebay too, price is not cheap.

I think we paid maybe 30 bucks 9 years. Ago.

Just checked Amazon, search electrical control cabinet and a bunch will come up.

Hold on to your wallet...

Or call around your electrical places to see if any used ones.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

We got it at a electrical supply surplus supply.

Local electric motor shop has huge bone yard and we found it there.

These are common things, come in many shapes and sizes.

Amazon and ebay too, price is not cheap.

I think we paid maybe 30 bucks 9 years. Ago.

Just checked Amazon, search electrical control cabinet and a bunch will come up.

Hold on to your wallet...

Or call around your electrical places to see if any used ones.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
This is what I got

Zulkit Junction Box ABS Plastic Waterproof IP65 Electrical Boxes Hinged Shell Clear Cover Outdoor Universal Project Enclosure with Mounting Plate and Wall Brackets 11.8 x 7.9 x 6.3 inch (300x200x160mm) https://a.co/d/hEykbrW

Thanks! These boxes look very sturdy and functional ... and the price is affordable. I'm sure I'll be using one of those for an upcoming project pretty soon.

Now that's a nice price!
It was the most inexpensive that I could find that would still accommodate my VFD... Still, I had to cut holes for the fans. Got two fans and some screen covers for good airflow/cooling....

IMG_5054.jpeg

IMG_5083.jpeg

On using compressed air... I had planned on having that on both my lathe and mill.... I see the videos from Joe Pieczynski using it and seems to great and useful... Guess I will switch to a good shop vacuum instead. Let me see what I can find with a low noise level...

EDIT: Forget about getting an ultra quiet one... suckers are wayyyyy too expensive... I will just get the DeWALT 12 Gal. Stealth Sonic Wet/Dry Vacuum. It should do just fine...

Last edited:
I do have a dedicated shop vac positioned between my mill and lathe and use that for cleaning up chips both on the machines and on the floor. If you get one that has a muffler on the output they are noticeably quieter. That said, I have always had a compressed air line on my machines and always will. I have a dedicated regulator dialed in @ 40 psi but I'll be lowering that to 25. I'll also take steps to better protect the new VFD which should be arriving today. When clearing chips out of a deep slot while the cut is in progress I always rely on air. I added the regulator years ago because 125psi blows chips all over the place. The fatal chip that took out my VFD came off the threads of a tap. I never even considered the perfect storm that precipitated this mishap but it will never happen again. I just started this thread to possibly help others avoid my fate.
Ed P

OSHA requires compressed air used for cleaning (blowing chips) to be limited below 30 PSI. It does the job effectively, especially with an induction nozzle. If one little chip can find your VFD and fry it, then one could just as easily enter your eye... so be careful.

Back