Is there an official name for short OAL reamers?

David Gingery explains in one of his books how to make them with hand tools if I remember right. I'm not a skilled machinist but I have more skills now than I did when I made the first one. It was merely a shaft of the desired diameter with the end sliced off at an angle. It worked well for aluminium one time use. That method is less sophisticated than one I saw in a thread on this site when I googled "D" reamer a moment ago.

Interesting. The images I saw on Google are beyond me, but I'll take a second look. Thanks!

These are to small for your application largest one is .500 . clear holder are metric , all have a hole in shank for a tommy bar I think. Center row on size outer rows + - .001

View attachment 234195
Forgot I had them till I read this thread, don't remember where I got them, the wood holder has IBM engraved into it. But they are all stubby

Nice collection!
All of the stubby reamers I found have that same hole. I originally thought they dropped into some kind of holder or extended shank setup, but the tommy bar makes a bit more sense.

Interesting. The images I saw on Google are beyond me, but I'll take a second look. Thanks!
If you have access to the the Machine Shop from Scrap Series, this reamer is briefly explained on page 13 of the THE DIVIDING HEAD & DELUXE ACCESSORIES book. The slice (for lack of a better word) starts at about 1/3 diameter and is 2 to 2-1/2 times the diameter in length. It is made from mild steel so will only work for soft metal such as aluminium It must be sharp and resharpened for each use. The author warned that it may cut a little under size and final scrapeing may be required for proper fit. Although the author doesn't recommend machine power, I would suggest that you experiment with some scrap and see if this principle could be useful to you. The price is right. blob.jpg .

I'm looking for a couple of reamers I can use on my mini lathe. I've got a motor mounted drive wheel in my near future and have doubts about hitting the correct ID with my boring bar.

Standard reamers are way too long for the mini, so I need something with a shorter shank and maybe even shorter cutting flutes.

That said, is there an official name or term I should be searching for? I've had some luck with the term "stub reamer", but results are haphazard at best.

Thanks!
Yes, they are called "Reamers That Someone Has Shortened by Cutting the Shanks". This is very common in milling operations when the machine has a limited Z.

Back