Is there an official name for short OAL reamers?

You might want to use a .625" reamer. Until a new reamer is broken in, it will ream about a half thousandth oversize. I think you'll find the motor shaft is usually at .6245" diameter most of the time.

BTW- the shank on a reamer is usually soft enough to take a hacksaw and cut it off to the length you need. I've done this many times over the years when I needed a shorter reamer.
Ken
Good to know. Does that mean I can also turn it down to fit a 1/2 chuck in the tail stock (or should I find a larger chuck instead? )?

What material are you making the part from?
6061 aluminum.
This will be a drive wheel for a 2x42 grinder build.

A 5/8 reamer should have a 1/2" shank. Bore it close and polish it to size. I have several wooden dowel rods with a slit length wise wrap a piece of emery around it spin the part as fast as your lathe will turn.

You learn something new every day here - never saw jobber length or stub length reamers before.

Huh. That''s a pretty cool idea, but I think making one is a little beyond my skills at this point.
David Gingery explains in one of his books how to make them with hand tools if I remember right. I'm not a skilled machinist but I have more skills now than I did when I made the first one. It was merely a shaft of the desired diameter with the end sliced off at an angle. It worked well for aluminium one time use. That method is less sophisticated than one I saw in a thread on this site when I googled "D" reamer a moment ago.

These are to small for your application largest one is .500 . clear holder are metric , all have a hole in shank for a tommy bar I think. Center row on size outer rows + - .001

IMG_0876.JPG
Forgot I had them till I read this thread, don't remember where I got them, the wood holder has IBM engraved into it. But they are all stubby

Back