Is there an official name for short OAL reamers?

Cavediver

Registered
Registered
I'm looking for a couple of reamers I can use on my mini lathe. I've got a motor mounted drive wheel in my near future and have doubts about hitting the correct ID with my boring bar.

Standard reamers are way too long for the mini, so I need something with a shorter shank and maybe even shorter cutting flutes.

That said, is there an official name or term I should be searching for? I've had some luck with the term "stub reamer", but results are haphazard at best.

Thanks!

Can't you take a grinder and cut off the long shank?
most chucking reamers seem to have longer shanks.

Can't you take a grinder and cut off the long shank?
most chucking reamers seem to have longer shanks.

I think I can, but they seem to have long flutes to go with the long shanks. My drive wheel is 2", the chuck is another 2", the tail stock takes up a good bit of room... By the time I get to the reamer portion of this equation, there's not much room left!

My alternate is to grab a set of hand reamers, which is a strong possibility, but I'd really love to do this (and other reaming tasks) on the lathe if at all possible.

What size reamers do you need?
I believe the motor has a 5/8 shaft, so maybe a .626? I won't know for sure until this weekend when I pull the motor from an an unused tool.

Carbide reamers tend to be much shorter than HSS. Example: https://www.amazon.com/Alvord-Polk-Carbide-Straight-Uncoated/dp/B003TO4VQS
Noted, and thank you for pointing that out! As I have zero experience with these things I would likely have never noticed that.

Another solution is to upgrade to the 16" bed kit from LMS. Then standard chucking reamers work great. That's how I solved that same problem. I saved my loose money for 3 months and ordered the kit. If you know someone with a tool and cutter grinder you could cut off both ends of the reamer to whatever length you need. Then have it sharpened and the chamfer put back on it.

Roy

Lol! That's one way to do it!
That is actually in my plan, but not for another couple of months (or until it's back in stock!).

Cutting off both ends is an interesting idea. I don't know anyone with a tool grinder, but I will check with the sharpening service my employer uses. Maybe that would work!

You might want to use a .625" reamer. Until a new reamer is broken in, it will ream about a half thousandth oversize. I think you'll find the motor shaft is usually at .6245" diameter most of the time.

BTW- the shank on a reamer is usually soft enough to take a hacksaw and cut it off to the length you need. I've done this many times over the years when I needed a shorter reamer.
Ken

Back