Installed a Lathe pad today

Uh.. Ummmmm….yeah. Ya’all act like I’m a concrete guy. I’m not.
If it doesn’t work, I will hire somebody to cut out some of the floor, and put in a pad like I said in my original post.

Just thoughts on how I would do it.

My garage floor sucks.
My lathe on my garage floor is not happy.
Or level.
Or straight.
I decided to remedy this.

Using Kwikrete non-shrink precision grout, some caulk, screws and 2x4’s, I poured a bed for the lathe **following the instructions on the bag**. Overall height should be about 1.5”. I made it 2 inches past the edge of the lathe front to back and about an inch past left to right.
I’m not familiar at all with this type of stuff, so it’s pretty interesting to me. I’m hopeful it helps out. If not, I’ll hire someone to cut out some of the floor and install a pad that way.

If anyone reading this decides to do this. Rent or buy an actual Mixer for the grout. It’s pretty tough on a drill….

**Edited

View attachment 445513

View attachment 445514

View attachment 445516

View attachment 445517
In my other life before retiring. I installed many large compressors. First position the machine and shim it level about 1 1/2 inch above the highest point on the floor. Using a machinist level you can get as perfect as you want. NOW build your form and pour your grout. Be careful to shove it under the machine. bring the grout level up to or slightly above the machine base. Let the grout cure at least 24 hours then tighten the anchor bolts if you have them. Just the way I did it back in my other life.

fixit

In my other life before retiring. I installed many large compressors. First position the machine and shim it level about 1 1/2 inch above the highest point on the floor. Using a machinist level you can get as perfect as you want. NOW build your form and pour your grout. Be careful to shove it under the machine. bring the grout level up to or slightly above the machine base. Let the grout cure at least 24 hours then tighten the anchor bolts if you have them. Just the way I did it back in my other life.

fixit
Question on this - doing it this way, does the grout come in contact with the machine? If so, how would the machine be removed? (for whatever reason)

I would think that the pad only has to be plus/minus an inch or so. the Leveling feet should manage after that.
I really only have about an inch of movement on my leveling bolts - if that. My lathe "feet" are recessed instead of even with the bottom of the machine.

Jareese, I just took a deep dive into self-leveling mortar applications, and you managed to navigate all the sack mix products out there and selected the best one for the application from what's easily available. Seriously, if this works, I'm going to be hot on your heels leveling parts of my basement that was poured one sack-mixed wheelbarrow at a time in 1933. Good idea to let it sit over the weekend, but I'm watching and waiting!

I believe that's the mix that I decide on after research. The important thing was the loadbearing ability.
I needed it to level my ancient brick foundation wall before my wall rebuild. Quikrete Fast Set Non-Shrink Grout. Mine came in 20lb buckets and I couldn't get it anywhere local. Had to order it online and have it delivered!
1682620140088.png

The low foundation wall (An addition. Probably 1920's? No idea. House was built 1768) was about 36 foot long and sank to over 2" in the center area...
We screwed boards along the length of the wall on inside and outside. Caulked all the gaps and joints. Mixed the grout to a water consistancy and filled it in until it was just getting level with the wall height on either end of the wall.
It wasn't perfect, and seemed to need some assistance leveling out over that long length, but it did the job and I had a pretty level foundation wall to stud out my replacement wall on!

Sakrete makes floor leveling compounds, covers thickness from 1/8 to 1". It mixes thinner than pancake mix, just pour and it finds it's own level

That's just the thing, most leveling compounds are for thin application, and this is a thick application. Key difference in the product selection.

edit: And traditional mortars are really weak in tensile rating. Like, 100x too weak!

That's just the thing, most leveling compounds are for thin application, and this is a thick application. Key difference in the product selection.
Correct. Minimum stated thickness for Qwikrete non-shrink grout is 1”.

Back