Installed a Lathe pad today

jareese

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
My garage floor sucks.
My lathe on my garage floor is not happy.
Or level.
Or straight.
I decided to remedy this.

Using Kwikrete non-shrink precision grout, some caulk, screws and 2x4’s, I poured a bed for the lathe **following the instructions on the bag**. Overall height should be about 1.5”. I made it 2 inches past the edge of the lathe front to back and about an inch past left to right.
I’m not familiar at all with this type of stuff, so it’s pretty interesting to me. I’m hopeful it helps out. If not, I’ll hire someone to cut out some of the floor and install a pad that way.

If anyone reading this decides to do this. Rent or buy an actual Mixer for the grout. It’s pretty tough on a drill….

**Edited

IMG_2097.jpeg

IMG_2098.jpeg

IMG_2101.jpeg

IMG_2102.jpeg

Last edited:
did you put any metal in that? either screen, or rebar? I would have put screen in since it looks thin. it may be an optical illusion, but it didn't look flat at the far end of the pour.
No metal, “high strength precision grout”

No optical illusions. Floor is far from level.

I am also very interested in how this comes out. It's not too different from similar work I've seen at the shipyard using self-leveling grout. It's a thin layer process, meant to hold weight. I need to do this for my washer and dryer pad in my house (1933 sack mix concrete basement), and I also need to use this process for a level door threshold over some stoopid crooked concrete. So please share all the details you learn along the way...

Please follow up and let us know how this goes. I have some applications in mind for this stuff.

did you put any metal in that? either screen, or rebar? I would have put screen in since it looks thin. it may be an optical illusion, but it didn't look flat at the far end of the pour.

Agree, wire/ rebar. Anchored to floor. And concrete bonding adhesive. Concrete vibrator will level it.

Back