Info on this lathe

I wonder if the blow that bent the guide bar broke the casting.

I wonder if the blow that bent the guide bar broke the casting.
Hard to say.
If someone just whacked the lever down there's a good chance just the plate broke.

Hard to say.
If someone just whacked the lever down there's a good chance just the plate broke.

Well, like I said above, that plate likely didn't 'stretch' with impact, so it would have pulled against one or both of the bolts. Best case is there was enough room in the bolt holes to accommodate the bend. Second best case is that the plate cracked near the bolt. Third best case is it broke one of the bolts.

Worst case is it damaged the casting in some way that isn't repairable.

Well, like I said above, that plate likely didn't 'stretch' with impact, so it would have pulled against one or both of the bolts. Best case is there was enough room in the bolt holes to accommodate the bend. Second best case is that the plate cracked near the bolt. Third best case is it broke one of the bolts.

Worst case is it damaged the casting in some way that isn't repairable.
Agreed, something had to give.
The part in the EBay listing looks to be steel not cast iron so it's a bit worrying that it could break like that.

So they won't budge on the $900 price. "It's a rare machine and my boss knows it."

That's the 4-1/2' bed I think. The RCN had pretty long ones on the ships and they're pretty hard to come by.

You still thinking on it?

-f

That's the 4-1/2' bed I think. The RCN had pretty long ones on the ships and they're pretty hard to come by.

You still thinking on it?

-f
Yes, it's the long bed version.
I'm not in dire need of a lathe but my tendency is to strike at good deals when I see them. For example I managed a to land $200 Unisaw.
I'm really on the fence about it. I'm also trying to figure out where I'd put it as I'm jam-packed with other stuff in a poorly organized space that I'm trying to sort out.

IMO, the only thing that is rare about that lathe is that the bed is longer. Its still only 34" between centers. Unless you really care about having THAT kind of SouthBend, I don't think it is worth paying a premium for. 10-12" lathes with 34"+ between centers are incredibly common.

Note that you probably need to a bunch of accessories anyway. You would want the steady rest, you would want a chuck, and you'll need to do a VFD (or new motor) and tool post. For the $750 USD range that is probably still a decent deal, but if you don't need a lathe you might be better off waiting for one that fits your needs. Heck, for $1500 USD I sold a similar 10" Logan with a bunch of tooling.

Back