Info on this lathe

IMO, the only thing that is rare about that lathe is that the bed is longer. Its still only 34" between centers. Unless you really care about having THAT kind of SouthBend, I don't think it is worth paying a premium for. 10-12" lathes with 34"+ between centers are incredibly common.

Note that you probably need to a bunch of accessories anyway. You would want the steady rest, you would want a chuck, and you'll need to do a VFD (or new motor) and tool post. For the $750 USD range that is probably still a decent deal, but if you don't need a lathe you might be better off waiting for one that fits your needs. Heck, for $1500 USD I sold a similar 10" Logan with a bunch of tooling.
Agreed. There was going to have to be a substantial tooling investment. The $300 price reduction was a bit of a laugh to me.

Yeah I saw that one. Don't know how common they are for parts although I think they may have been a school issue here at one time. My wood lathe is one from old Esquimalt High and it was a UK machine -- Sagar.

-f

Thanks @ErichKeane The Busy Bee is a nice machine. The other might break my garage! :)

I also found this for comparion to the CL770R

Thanks @ErichKeane The Busy Bee is a nice machine. The other might break my garage! :)

I also found this for comparion to the CL770R

That machine looks like its missing a threading dial.... Be careful when buying a Southbend some of the models where built with out the mounting holes for a threading dial to even attach... look over the machine carefully.... But the 4 1/2" bed is awesome!

edit... Its also missing all of the reversing gears and the gear banjo....

That machine looks like its missing a threading dial.... Be careful when buying a Southbend some of the models where built with out the mounting holes for threading dial to even attach... look over the machine carefully.... But the 4 1/2" bed is awesome!
Agreed. I was using it more as a comparison to the CL770R (also with 4 1/2 ft bed) for $900.

IMO, the only thing that is rare about that lathe is that the bed is longer. Its still only 34" between centers. Unless you really care about having THAT kind of SouthBend, I don't think it is worth paying a premium for. 10-12" lathes with 34"+ between centers are incredibly common.

Note that you probably need to a bunch of accessories anyway. You would want the steady rest, you would want a chuck, and you'll need to do a VFD (or new motor) and tool post. For the $750 USD range that is probably still a decent deal, but if you don't need a lathe you might be better off waiting for one that fits your needs. Heck, for $1500 USD I sold a similar 10" Logan with a bunch of tooling.

I don't really see the long bed as a desirable feature. To me one of the major advantages to a 10" lathe is you get a pretty good size swing, power and a decent spindle bore in a relatively compact package since most are 22-24" between centers. If I had room for a machine with 34" between centers, I'd be looking at a more capable 12x36" lathe.

Back