Info on this lathe

Just curious. What is the spindle ID on you mini lathe? If I was upgrading to a bigger lathe I would like to have a bigger spindle ID than I currently have.
The seller is obviously willing to deal. Offer them $500. It's not like you are desperate to get a lathe. And with no additional tooling your are going to spend way more than the cost of this lathe on tooling.

My lathe has a .75” bore. However the chuck is not quite .75 so the effective bore is less than that.

The specs on this lathe indicate a .84” bore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ooh, that's tempting...

(I don't mean for me)

It’s really tempting considering there’s a Craftsman 6x18 for sale locally. Asking price is $800.

Yeah I hear you. It makes it tough because so few machines turn up so you never know when you'll see another. However, I've been watching the used market here for machines for five-six years now and yes, one eventually does show up, at least as far as lathes go. But it could be three years out....

-frank

Yeah I hear you. It makes it tough because so few machines turn up so you never know when you'll see another. However, I've been watching the used market here for machines for five-six years now and yes, one eventually does show up, at least as far as lathes go. But it could be three years out....

-frank

I’m really tempted by this machine....

When I first got my Atlas it didn't take me long before I was sniffing for a bigger machine. But none showed up and, after a while, the urgency waned and I got more accustomed to what I had. And in that time I discovered more and more about what I do or don't want/need in a machine. Now I watch and wait for my prey, but I'm okay if one doesn't come by either.

Do consider spindle bore though David, that is one of the more annoying things to not have. More so than bed length or swing in my opinion because it really cuts down on how you can attack a job or use your stock.

If you go over to look at it you'll buy it, so choose your travel wisely! In a way it's kind of like your first car -- chances are it might be a mistake but there's an equal chance that it will not be the only one you ever buy.

-frank

Yes, fortunately (?) I have a truck so that makes it dangerous to go.

They gave me a shipping quote of $137 to my garage door.

Do consider spindle bore though David, that is one of the more annoying things to not have. More so than bed length or swing in my opinion because it really cuts down on how you can attack a job or use your stock.

I second this. I have a pretty large lathe (Reed Prentice 14B, so 16x30), and use the 1 9/16 bore a TON. That bore means I can do work on the end of a piece more than a 1.5" without having to worry about stickout. Doing something simple like 'threading the end of a thing' goes from concerning to simple because I can do it so close to the chuck.

As someone who used to claim my 10" Logan was enough for anyone, I would suggest trying to find an old big machine. I paid less for my RP than you're looking to pay for that, and am only ~250 miles south of you. I'd suggest hanging on to see if you can find the biggest you can get into your shop. I realize you have to deal with a ferry ride/etc, but Seattle craigslist often has some really good deals.

I second this. I have a pretty large lathe (Reed Prentice 14B, so 16x30), and use the 1 9/16 bore a TON. That bore means I can do work on the end of a piece more than a 1.5" without having to worry about stickout. Doing something simple like 'threading the end of a thing' goes from concerning to simple because I can do it so close to the chuck.

As someone who used to claim my 10" Logan was enough for anyone, I would suggest trying to find an old big machine. I paid less for my RP than you're looking to pay for that, and am only ~250 miles south of you. I'd suggest hanging on to see if you can find the biggest you can get into your shop. I realize you have to deal with a ferry ride/etc, but Seattle craigslist often has some really good deals.

Thank you for this, I hadn’t thought about going south primarily because of the exchange rate.
As Frank can attest, finding machines in our area is a significant challenge so casting the net wider is a good idea.

I realize they are a little expensive, but there are a couple realy good ones in the ~$2000 USD range on the Seattle craigslist. One thing that can get you a REALLY good deal is to shop for 3 phase. Most people don't put it in their ad, but they will get listed for ages due to everyone being scared off by it.

The key is that for ~$100-$200 you can get a cheap VFD and have a much better machine for 1/3 the price. For example, mine was $750 (USD) for a machine that is basically that in scrap.

A guy who goes by Varmint AL and is all about hunting has an interesting page on the modifications that he did to his mini lathe. One mod was to ream out his spindle to 13/16. Link to his page. http://www.varmintal.com/alath.htm#Lathe_Improvements.

In my area there are a lot of lathes to choose from. Anything that a hobby machinist wants goes for top dollar. But the big old machines sell for scrap value or less. As I have said before it all depends on what you want to do with a bigger lathe. Let that be your guide on what to buy.

You like me when I started down this road 3 years ago are a clueless newbie (no disrespect intended). Use what you have. Learn how to do things. Make the most of what you have. As you get into this hobby you will have a better idea on what type of lathe to upgrade to. There will always be lathes to chose from. No need to run out and buy something.

Back