Inflation-- tool prices-- tariffs?

None of this is a surprise. I’ll leave that right there.
Being in manufacturing, I see our raw material costs absolutely skyrocketing
Especially metals. I want to build a gantry crane for the shop. Priced the materials for the I beam and vertical supports. $1500 bucks. Ouch.

A lot of things went higher when the tariffs went into effect.
I remember guys were screaming about jobs they quoted before the tariffs, and when the job was signed, they went to aquire the metal and were taking a beating on the jobs.

Everything seemed to go up that was produced in China... But prices also rose on USA goods too.

I was just shocked at the price of those AXA holders.. it caught me by surprise.

I truly believe Harbor Fright is a indicator.. Notice how prices have been going up.. Notice that they are rebranding, and (supposedly building better products). But those products have problems.. they are almost the price of name brand, or sometimes higher.. The name brand you can get parts for.. the HF... NO. I think HF realized they needed to raise prices in general... so who wants to pay for low quality at a higher price. So they are building better, at a higher $$$ the problem is they entered that area of does it really pay to buy that more expensive unit.

I liked HF when I needed a one and done tool. I could justify the low quality. But for higher money, I'll buy name brand..

When it comes to raw material and such.. I keep shopping around. And as @Janderso is experiencing right now, he can buy a 5 sheave pulley for less than the cost of raw material.. Hard to compete with that.

Whats contributing to these higher prices? I read the cost of shipping a container from china to California, is now about 4 times or more then a two years ago. !50 or so ships waiting off the west coast to unload. Somebody is paying that cost for those ships to sit there, and it ends up in costs.

I bet raw material spends less time in the pipe line then finished good, so they see the price rise quicker. As old stock gets depleted, I bet we will see all kinds of prices go up.

Prices are going up everywhere, in some cases at an alarming rate. The company I work for (part time) utilizes a LOT of sheet aluminum in mostly .060 thickness. The purchasing manager has to look WAY out to determine what he needs and when. It is no longer a case of ordering a semi load today and have it come next week. More like 2-3 months now. I recently was tasked with finding some HRPO steel (a week ago I didn't know what that was, now I can say "Thanks Google!). 5'x10' 12 gauge H50 HRPO now range from $272 to $335 per sheet if we order 10 sheets, not including shipping and some to not being able to be delivered 2.5 months. A little over a year ago we paid $112 per sheet.

Oh, have you looked at car prices lately. The wife and I looked at a KIA Telluride a few days ago. Fully loaded. Absolutely beautiful car but it belonged to the owner of the KIA dealership and she was not going to part with it. I could order a new one for $52k and get it in maybe 6 months if I am lucky. That same vehicle in late 2019/early 2020 was $39K. Used vehicles are now fetching more than new, because you cannot get new.

@7milesup we drove one of those loaded Tellurides. Nice vehicles. We opted for a late model (2018) Mazda CX-9 for a lot less money. Wife loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@7milesup we drove one of those loaded Tellurides. Nice vehicles. We opted for a late model (2018) Mazda CX-9 for a lot less money. Wife loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have not compared them side by side (but I will tonight via the interweb!) but there are a couple of factors that would favor the Telluride for me. The biggest is the 4 cylinder in the Mazda. I currently own a Santa Fe Sport with the 4cyl turbo in it (currently getting replaced under warranty because it seized up). No matter how hard they try, 4 cylinders sound like, well, four cylinders. The Subaru's, which I also considered, are terrible. The other factor is I can't stand the nearest Mazda dealer. Not Mazda's fault I know, but the next dealer is 2 hours away from me.
A lot of people really like the Mazda line so they are doing something right.

Toyota or Honda.. all others are like Fix Or Repair Daily's.

Just my opinion. I know they are both higher priced, but there's a reason... They just don't die as long as you keep running them, and do basic maint.

Some of this is supply and demand, but I think a lot more of it is just gouging. These guy's are doing it, so we will too situation. A better brighter corporate America. The seven deadly sins in full play. There is no sane reason for 300-400% increases, over a less than two year period. Time for a lot more people to just say NO to this bu!!****. We can no longer in good continence, continue on this path of rampant consumerism. Nero fiddles while Rome burns, The Sequel. Now where's my machine tool catalog. Yes I'm guilty to some extent also, but I rebuild a lot more free, or cheap used stuff than I buy new. Have never owned a new car. My newest is 05, which I paid 6K for 5 years ago. Alright, rant over, cocktail hour has arrived. Mike

in good continence
Well, at least you aren't incontinent. Or maybe you are, either way, non of my business!
Sorry, couldn't resist yankin' yer chain

Toyota or Honda.. all others are like Fix Or Repair Daily's.

Just my opinion. I know they are both higher priced, but there's a reason... They just don't die as long as you keep running them, and do basic maint.
You clearly have never looked at what the Koreans have to offer. But, it all depends what you are looking for in a vehicle. I like my luxury. Wouldn't mind a MB GLE 550, but can't afford it. The Telluride has it beat IMHO anyhow, for half the money. Toyota makes a great car, but they have historically been 5 years or more behind in tech and interior finishes. In fact, their interiors have been atrocious until recently.

Edit: What were we talking about originally....oh yeah. Tool Holders.

Last edited:
Back