Indexable Inserts

@MrWhoopee

Never used Ali, never intend to given the horror stories I have heard about it.........

Then again, experience of others will dictate that decision moving forwards I suppose.
The tooling sets linked from eBay are a great start. I've had shockingly good results with some of the inexpensive tools and inserts from eBay. After just a bit of experience you'll have an idea what you like more/less and it won't be a chore to pick something else if you need to add another tool style.

The tooling sets linked from eBay are a great start. I've had shockingly good results with some of the inexpensive tools and inserts from eBay. After just a bit of experience you'll have an idea what you like more/less and it won't be a chore to pick something else if you need to add another tool style.

Not so much an issue with the tool holders, more so figuring out the inserts for a certain holder or three from a set.

Not so much an issue with the tool holders, more so figuring out the inserts for a certain holder or three from a set.
I had to look all over for what inserts fit my set. I eventually came across another listing using the part number on the tools.
Remind me to engrave the insert number into the tool holder

I had to look all over for what inserts fit my set. I eventually came across another listing using the part number on the tools.
As soon as I solved the insert type and number, I wrote that into my booklet, wrote it in a spreadsheet as well as on a slip of paper in the tooling case and writing on the insert box itself. Multiple points of reference means not having to look far for the "answer" when ordering spares.

Still hunting for single ended inserts for a single point tool, plus inserts for a parting off tool that is supposedly MGMN200 but is single ended insert.

Can't find any for love nor money , but if I could just find a clue it would be nice.

Tools are part of a 7 piece set acquired from a UK supplier but they want way over sensible money for the cut-off inserts. Seems like an underhanded way to make it, almost, proprietory to them and them alone as even the supplied ones they sell lack the proper type number on them.

That is why I like using a local brick and mortar with knowledgeable peeps.... I walk in put the old insert on the counter and a box of them usually appear....

That is why I like using a local brick and mortar with knowledgeable peeps.... I walk in put the old insert on the counter and a box of them usually appear....

These tools are FROM a brick and mortar and they refused to give up the details of the inserts, so I told them if they refuse to give up the details of the inserts, then I refuse to do further business with them!

That said, I have a Brick n Mortar tool retailer not too far away I recently used. Didn't know they were so close, otherwise would have gone there a while ago. Will be dropping in to see about these odd inserts I need to find. Probably walk out a few hundred £££ lighter knowing my penchant for tools / tooling.

Nice to have that. Love to find something local……anything.
I leave most stores empty handed these days

As for machine shop supplies. I have not found anything local?

These tools are FROM a brick and mortar and they refused to give up the details of the inserts, so I told them if they refuse to give up the details of the inserts, then I refuse to do further business with them!

That said, I have a Brick n Mortar tool retailer not too far away I recently used. Didn't know they were so close, otherwise would have gone there a while ago. Will be dropping in to see about these odd inserts I need to find. Probably walk out a few hundred £££ lighter knowing my penchant for tools / tooling.
High I'm VW and I am a tool addict and I haven't bought a tool in the last 45 minutes......

Nice to have that. Love to find something local……anything.
I leave most stores empty handed these days

As for machine shop supplies. I have not found anything local?

@mac1911

Thats London for you, always surprising you when you least expect it.

Wierdly, I had a lightbulb moment of searching for the actual tool-holders that need replacement inserts just now, and guess what happened?? I just found the insert type for both ruddy tool holders that I need replacement inserts for! Last time I tried that, I came up empty.

High I'm VW and I am a tool addict and I haven't bought a tool in the last 45 minutes......
@verbotenwhisky

That does not mean you are not looking! I know the symptoms! LOL

BTW, which whisky is forbidden? Not a high quality Scottish single malt I hope?

Last edited:
@mac1911

Thats London for you, always suprising you when you least expect it.

Wierdly, I had a lightbulb moment of searching for the actual tool-holders that need replacement inserts just now, and guess what happened?? I just found the insert type for both ruddy tool holders that I need replacement inserts for! Last time I tried that, I came up empty.

@verbotenwhisky

That does not mean you are not looking! I know the symptoms! LOL

BTW, which whisky is forbidden? Not a high quality Scottish single malt I hope?
I am not that refined... LOL

Back