Indexable Inserts

@verbotenwhisky I am firmly in the land of miles / yards/ feet / inches et-al and the country that gave the world Railways, but since mm is what these tools are supplied in, that was why I asked about mm.

3/8" (0.375) is not 10mm

10mm is closer to 25/64" (0.3906") being 0.3937 which equates, near as damnit, to 9.9219mm.

Splitting hairs? possibly, though I do see your point as regards potential interchangeability.

Just dont want to cough up for a book the may not suit my needs as a reference work.

*** Edited to correct spelling ***
Honestly, assuming the link is for David P. Best's book I'd definitely recommend it.

It's a really good explanation of the usage of indexable inserts

Honestly, assuming the link is for David P. Best's book I'd definitely recommend it.

It's a really good explanation of the usage of indexable inserts

It was more a case of it being a suitable reference as regards my currently sized tooling.

It was more a case of it being a suitable reference as regards my currently sized tooling.
Do you already have a good understanding of inserts, what the all the codes mean and the best usage of each type? In that case the book isn't really going to be of help.

As for mm vs imperial, wouldnt it be good to be reasonably proficient in both? ISO codes for inserts have metric and imperial specs.

Do you already have a good understanding of inserts, what the all the codes mean and the best usage of each type? In that case the book isn't really going to be of help.

As for mm vs imperial, wouldnt it be good to be reasonably proficient in both? ISO codes for inserts have metric and imperial specs.

I hate metric. Hate working with it, hate dealing with it hate the idea of it. Damned froggy BS I want nothing to do with if I can at all help it.

I hate metric. Hate working with it, hate dealing with it hate the idea of it. Damned froggy BS I want nothing to do with if I can at all help it.
i live in the last bastion of the inch/foot/mile land (even after the originator of the system has given up the cause), but I do not have an issue with it. After getting use to the mile/yard/foot/inch and the fractions that are derived, metric is easy mode.

Well, I'm not keen on wensleydale, so fair enough.

If you take what I said within context the mater is subjective for the most part. You have to buy the insert that fits the holder but most inserts are noted in both systems, if your discussing the holder, its being clamped into your tool post with bolt(s) and if your tool post holds a 10mm then a 3/8" will work. Again, there isn't much choice once you commit, you'll buy the insert that fits your holder.

When I wrote the original reply I understood the question to be about the holder.... :confused:

Back