Indexable Inserts

When you use up the two point of the diamond, how do you use up the other two shallower points?
I watch one of ABOM's video's and he likes the diamond shape as well, he ends up using the shallow points on a fly cutter on the mill
I actually have holders that use the shallow points and holders that use the outer point.

Edit, take a look at the different orientations in the tools in this link:

Last edited:
Pick up one of these sets and a pack of each of the inserts.

Is the Birmingham an upgrade from the Tida, beyond the increased capacity?

I am very new to it all myself.
My lathe is very limited in spindle speed so often the “guides” for cutting tools dont seem to fall in line with what I have.
When I needed to replace my inserts ( similar set to what was posted previously) i just took a little time to at least figure out what I had and then read about the other styles
I went with one set for aluminum and another style for roughing and finishing steel.
Its very confusing
Im sorry I forget exactly but IIRC
50’ and 80’ diamonds.
A larger triangle bit.

@MrWhoopee

Never used Ali, never intend to given the horror stories I have heard about it.........

Then again, experience of others will dictate that decision moving forwards I suppose.

@MrWhoopee

Never used Ali, never intend to given the horror stories I have heard about it.........

Then again, experience of others will dictate that decision moving forwards I suppose.
I have bought a LOT of stuff off Aliexpress. Only had one bad deal and I got my money back with no problem.
I've received half a dozen orders in the last couple of weeks and have three or four more in transit.

Go ahead and play with the insert tooling. Just save the high speed when you need a good finish or a special form tooling.

Pick up one of these sets and a pack of each of the inserts.

Is the Birmingham an upgrade from the Tida, beyond the increased capacity?
Well, The tida was belt driven and honestly awkward to get into back gear when you had stock hanging out the outboard side (hinged door)
I bought the tida cheap just to make sure that owning a lathe was for me. It was pretty rough.
The Birmingham is a 1999 model gear head brand new from the gentlemen that bought it new and never used it. I had to clean off all the coating that they put on them.

As 'the book' is $60.00, I'll just buy some more tools and inserts.
It's easy enough to make toolholders for inserts when your a hobby machinist and not bound by 'time is money' constraints
Last holder I made was for small round 'button' inserts with 3mm screws, prior to that, a 35 degree diamond insert for a ball turner.
I mostly use HSS though as it puts less stress on the motor and speed controller of mini lathe, you can get HSS sharper edge than inserts, even the aluminium cutting ones.
Guess it's OK if your Stefan Gotteswinter or Robin Renzetti with a fully stocked machine shop with tool and cutter grinders but I'm not set up like that and don't have enough space (does anyone?)

As 'the book' is $60.00, I'll just buy some more tools and inserts.
It's easy enough to make toolholders for inserts when your a hobby machinist and not bound by 'time is money' constraints
Last holder I made was for small round 'button' inserts with 3mm screws, prior to that, a 35 degree diamond insert for a ball turner.
I mostly use HSS though as it puts less stress on the motor and speed controller of mini lathe, you can get HSS sharper edge than inserts, even the aluminium cutting ones.
Guess it's OK if your Stefan Gotteswinter or Robin Renzetti with a fully stocked machine shop with tool and cutter grinders but I'm not set up like that and don't have enough space (does anyone?)
I have enough space, as long as i never buy another tool or start another project.

Back