In more dire need of an arbor press than any white man in history!

Watching him work is like watching a monkey trying to f*** a football. If he was in my squad, the only tool he'd be touching is a broom. People should have to pass a test before reproducing. It should cover vector-based integral calculus.

A guy with a PhD in physics once interviewed for a very junior version of my position. We had finally convinced the powers to let us sit in on these interviews so we quit getting waste-of-skin types. During the interview an object was tossed on the desk, and he was asked to identify it.
"What's this?"
"A wrench?"
"Yeah, what kind?"
"A...wrenchy wrench?"
Spoiler, it was a combination wrench. That guy's name was forever Wrenchy Wrench from that moment on.

When I was getting my degree, the physics grad students had a lounge with a microwave. They used to nuke stuff in plastic containers. They used lead fishing sinkers to hold the lids down. I was never there to see the fireworks.

It's kind of amazing how far you can get in physics without having any idea how the actual world works. When I was a grad student, we drew up an exam for the undergrads. One problem involved buoyancy. I want to point out that I did not create this question.

You have a cone of ice so tall and so wide and so on. You put it in water. How much of the point will stick out?

Uh...none. It will rotate as soon as you let it go, and then it will float on its side.

If you want to see a REAL rigging accident, check this out.

When I was getting my degree, the physics grad students had a lounge with a microwave. They used to nuke stuff in plastic containers. They used lead fishing sinkers to hold the lids down. I was never there to see the fireworks.

It's kind of amazing how far you can get in physics without having any idea how the actual world works. When I was a grad student, we drew up an exam for the undergrads. One problem involved buoyancy. I want to point out that I did not create this question.

You have a cone of ice so tall and so wide and so on. You put it in water. How much of the point will stick out?

Uh...none. It will rotate as soon as you let it go, and then it will float on its side.

If you want to see a REAL rigging accident, check this out.

Holy crap that was scary! There were a few times he got his toes pretty close to under the machine I was cringing, so I'm glad it happened while he was out of the way!

Sad to see, that was a super nice old machine :( Hopefully it is something he can end up fixing.

It amazes me how folks in Europe use cutoff wheels to cut everything, When the amount of time wasted and the money spent on the amount of wheels they must go through is insane. They could easily buy a saw and a plasma cutter over the lifetime of wasteful cutting they do.

It amazes me how folks in Europe use cutoff wheels to cut everything, When the amount of time wasted and the money spent on the amount of wheels they must go through is insane. They could easily buy a saw and a plasma cutter over the lifetime of wasteful cutting they do.
Good morning and Happy New Year to all. Everyone seems comfortable using these, I must say I don't, and won't use them. I see guys cutting 1" plate, slotting and all else. Not that the old method is any safer, I just don't want to lose my eye's fingers and any other body part to any thing flying at me at high R.P.M. For me too much room for error.

Last edited:
Holy crap that was scary! There were a few times he got his toes pretty close to under the machine I was cringing, so I'm glad it happened while he was out of the way!

Sad to see, that was a super nice old machine :( Hopefully it is something he can end up fixing.
He welded the casting back together. You can find it if you look. I was impressed.

He welded the casting back together. You can find it if you look. I was impressed.
Ah that's great! His video was really tedious to watch, so I'm not likely to try to watch another, but I'm glad he was able to rescue the machine!

Plasma and saws are great, but there is nothing like a 6" grinder with a cutoff wheel. When the job is right for one, it's a great thing to have. I made 18" cuts in 3/8" steel with mine. Took very little time, and I got much better cuts than I would have gotten with plasma.

Jodi from Welding Tips and Tricks put up a video where he outran a torch with a grinder.

Plasma and saws are great, but there is nothing like a 6" grinder with a cutoff wheel. When the job is right for one, it's a great thing to have. I made 18" cuts in 3/8" steel with mine. Took very little time, and I got much better cuts than I would have gotten with plasma.

Jodi from Welding Tips and Tricks put up a video where he outran a torch with a grinder.
I use cutoff wheels and grinders for certain applicable cuts, But ANY chopsaw, bandsaw etc. would have been quicker, safer and more efficient for what he was cutting.

Back