In defense of the four-way lathe tool post

CJDave....I sent you a PM about your desire for a 4 1/2" 4 way tool post.

When I got my lathe it came with the typical lantern and a 4 way. I really liked the 4 way. I was looking into making another 4 way when I ran across plans for the Norman QCTP. I made one and have been very happy with it. Lately I have been doing some drawings of 4 way and 3 way tool holders for the Norman. Still working on some of the details. It may never happen.

The 4 tool bits that I use most of the time are a right turning bit, a facing bit, a threading bit and the parting bit. It would be nice to have those available by simply rotating the holder.
Back in 1970 I had a 4 way on a SB lathe buy 1974 I purchased a Aloris tool post and found to a lot better for one off projects.

The Turrets had 4 way tool which work for production work. I also had one side with a Aloris C tool holder too.

The lathe I purchased in November had a 4 way and first did was replace the tool post with a Aloris AXA.
20240110_125637.jpg
Dave

@Smithdoor I'm sorry that you couldn't get the 4 way tool post to work for you. It is definitely better in almost every respect than an Aloris. One of my friends has Multifix on all of his 3 lathes (different sizes), because that is the way he has always machined. He has spent thousands in holders. (but he can afford it).

The point of the thread is that it is cheaper, and can be better to avoid QCTP in favour of 4 way if used well. I'm happy Aloris has worked for you. I'll be selling some of my Aloris stuff next year, because I use Dixon and 4 way far more. Both are far more rigid, and that is important for the kind of turning *I* do... Mind you, my little lathe is a 12X37 and my big lathe is 15X60, so different application.

Back