In defense of the four-way lathe tool post

Dabbler,
I worked there back in 1972. The owners son took over, move to a new location and really expanded the company. They now specialize in VERY heavy machining!
I would bet that all the tool post stuff hit the scrap bin when the son took over. By the way they made tool posts, overhear hose reals, and Christmas tree stands back before I worked there.
Richard

@CJ5Dave I have the 4 1/2 inch Enco, and it is the perfect height for 3/4" tooling on my Leblond 15 inch lathe. They are always on center, and no need to modify them!

I'm not too sure how you are elevating your Enco: My indexing ring sits on top of the compound and is prevented from rotating by sitting down in the T slot of the compound. Did you machine the chapter ring?

@Mini Cooper S - I wish I could have seen their indexing mechanism. The enco uses ball bearings that are spring loaded in 24 positions. This is a very exacting thing to make. I'm sure the splines would be a lot easier.

I have been meaning to find an old Enco 4 way that is bigger than the one I have on loan now. I think it is a 3 1/2 and I have a 1/2 inch plate under it to get the height right. It is really not the right height with this. I think I need a 4 1/2 or 51/2 but these seem hard to find.
I actually have a 6" square Enco that i'll be selling at some point. It came on my Monarch 16CY but is larger than I want. I'll get another 4 1/2" tool post for that machine. The compound on the Monarch 16CY is actually 1/2" narrower than the (dark green) compound on the Reed Prentice 14x30 shown in the picture in the original post. One thing to keep in mind is whenevr you buy one of these, you'll likely need to do some machining on the bottom of the center post and make a suitable T-nut to fit your machine. I also made custom hold down bolts for both of mine to facilitate tool indexing without loosening the center post.

I also made custom hold down bolts for both of mine to facilitate tool indexing without loosening the center post.
I made my T nut a close friction fit, intending to add 2 set screws to lock it in place. It turns out I haven't needed them (yet)

I've been a big supporter of 4-way tool posts, used correctly (no shims)...

I've used and owned 4-way, American Rocker, and Aloris for all my lathes. I also own Dixon for my big lathe (in addition to the 3). I still keep going back to my 4-way on each, at least half of the time.

On my big lathe I have an Enco. Fine piece of kit.

very nice. I found if you use a DCMT tool in the Centre cutting configuration, you get really good face turning - for those tha prefer carbide. the tool is held in the 'boring bar' configuration. (4-way users will know that that is)

That is my experience. I have AXA, BXA and CXA Aloris tool posts. 4 way is a lot more rigid (if made well).

I really loce that idea! are there any more examples in the 3-4" range for sale (even in parts)???

I leave a RH turning tool, a facing tool, a combo chamfering tool, and a parting tool in my 4-way. Never need to change out anything on most days.

Yes I do use the Aloris holders a lot also. That is mostly for the tooling I haven't fitted to the 4-way (yet). All my holders and tooling sit in a drawer right beside the lathe.

I cannot emphasize enough that to use a 4-way effectively you mill down the bottom of your tool to make your carbide or HSS bit be on centre by just putting the tool in and cranking down. Shims are a waste of time. It takes 15 minutes to fit a tool, and it is right forever.
For HSS it's only correct forever if you grind the tool cutting point to the same height each time. I find this difficult when touching up an already ground tool.

For HSS it's only correct forever if you grind the tool cutting point to the same height each time. I find this difficult when touching up an already ground tool.
I made a holder that hold my HSS at a 5 degree angle, and the top of this holder is at centre line. I use a spare HSS blank for height adjustment. (there is clearance to enable cutting).

I made a holder that hold my HSS at a 5 degree angle, and the top of this holder is at centre line. I use a spare HSS blank for height adjustment. (there is clearance to enable cutting).
I can't quite picture it but believe you.

It is a little like @tcooper27 diamond tool holder but at 5 degrees. (or similar - I'm an hour away from the shop right now)... It is the lower picture in post#39 of "Lathe Tool holders" :

I have often thought a 4-way would be a good system. Will have to keep an eye out for one on ebay, and give it a try. Mike

It is a little like @tcooper27 diamond tool holder but at 5 degrees. (or similar - I'm an hour away from the shop right now)... It is the lower picture in post#39 of "Lathe Tool holders" :

Bottom tool is a tangential tool holder, did you mean the upper image?

Back