Improving single point thread quality?

I did touch the edges lightly. Wasn't too worried about it as these are just paper weights :)
You will find that if you taper the edge of the barrel blank before starting the threads you will get a better start on the threads. Driving the bit into a square often can cause issues. Since you are using a BAT M action, at least you won't have to worry about the lug.
Threads are looking really good.
If you can, get a hold of some old barrels so that you can practice setup and chambering before you put the actual blank in.
Are you going to shoot BR or F-Class?

You will find that if you taper the edge of the barrel blank before starting the threads you will get a better start on the threads. Driving the bit into a square often can cause issues. Since you are using a BAT M action, at least you won't have to worry about the lug.
Threads are looking really good.
If you can, get a hold of some old barrels so that you can practice setup and chambering before you put the actual blank in.
Are you going to shoot BR or F-Class?

Good info, and thank you. Getting old barrels is not a problem around here :)

Raised on BR by my dad and now an F-Class FTR guy. Along with some AR-Tactical in there for fun.

Good info, and thank you. Getting old barrels is not a problem around here :)

Raised on BR by my dad and now an F-Class FTR guy. Along with some AR-Tactical in there for fun.
Very cool, I got into FTR about 4 years ago with a forced rest period due to the world being locked down. Love the sport. My first barrel was made by Benchmark but plan to use Brux for my next barrel and also to chamber my own. I am fortunate in that I have at least 4 National Champions that live and shoot in my area. Great resource for learning. I can say that I am just now starting to refine my shooting and am feeling pretty good about my performance. I actually won my last two matches, no bragging, just a mile stone for me. Sadly I have only shot out to 500 yards. Would love to shoot 1000 to see what I am really capable of or not. But my wife's health doesn't allow my to travel. Maybe some day.
Good luck with your project. Sounds like you are going about it the right way. All the best.
Feel free to reach out anytime you would like to talk.
Patrick

@Henry Komorowski, Thanks for the wake up! I need to make an arbor for slitting saws and was going to use my Clausing MK3 with a threaded spindle instead it will have to be done on the enco with a D1-3 spindle which I haven't done much threading. Guess I won't learn any younger.
Have a good day!
Rock Breaker

Are you using a full form insert? One specifically for the thread you need will give the correct root & crest radii. It looks like you are using an insert that covers a range of threads so it will not have a crest radius on it & the root radius will probably be too sharp.

Back