If Anyone Has Been Calling Us And Couldn't Get Through Both Precision Matthews / Quality Machine To

I'm not sure how it is in your area but here is CA the telcom is only responsible for the line into the NID (box) unless they have provided the box (typical on some residential). In most commercial and some multifamily residential situations the box itself or termination point if inside the building, is the responsibility of the building owner to maintain.

I built a 20 unit apartment in the late 80's and we supplied the NID. Each termination in each unit was a home run, no daisy chaining. All the lines were rung-out and marked and terminated on punch down blocks by unit/room for the telcom to connect to. They came in undid all the punch down blocks and hooked up willy nilly with to concern about which line went to which unit/room and removed most of the ID tags. We didn't discover the problem until the units were being occupied.

Same here... the phone co is not responsible for the wire beyond the NIB (network interface box) on the side of the house...
Now OTOH... If one has u-verse in my area... the U-verse guy can be 'persuaded' to trouble-shoot the wiring... for a little green.

U-verse is expensive... however it is reliable, and one does get some perks with it.

Oh this one is their box, for sure. Its way before anything that we have, theres another one that looks like that one but a lot smaller. Thats where their service ends.

Hi Matt,
I just wanted to say:
1) That I have heard nothing but good opinions of you and the company. You have many happy customers here.
2) I really appreciate the fact that you came here to get the word out. Some companies talk about a "web presence" but here you are talking directly to many of your customer base. I think it says loads about your customer commitment.
Good on you!
-brino

As far as beyond the demarc, it's on you. Have anyone you trust to make sure it's not on your side? If they keep coming out and can't fix it, they are supposed to let you know it's on your side. But then, if they work on that, they charge. It's pretty hefty here if they do, so it pays to make sure you're clean.

Been meaning to give you a call to find out the best way to move my mill down to the basement. Probably have to disassemble it into major parts. But don't want to mess it up.
I guess it was a good thing that I kept forgetting to call. :D

As far as beyond the demarc, it's on you. Have anyone you trust to make sure it's not on your side? If they keep coming out and can't fix it, they are supposed to let you know it's on your side. But then, if they work on that, they charge. It's pretty hefty here if they do, so it pays to make sure you're clean.
Yes, there is no question about it that it is on their side. They come out, do a half assed patch on it, said they will be back, and I have not heard any more. I can see the insulation on the wires is all cracked, corroded, etc. its complete B.S. is what it is. I followed our wires and they still have a few of the lines going in to pretty much a corroded mess of a terminal block, I don't know how we even get a dial tone or anything on those lines. 100% for sure, its on their side. Those wires that you see in that box are actually our phone lines. It works somewhat OK when its dry, but as soon as it rains, all the cracked wires get water on them, and the static is 10 times worse. I fixed a few of the main lines myself just bypassing that mess, its really easy to do actually, but my problem is that this is what they left, and they seem to think its OK. Because it kind of works. If I didn't have a clue, we would be without phones other than one main line. And I pay for a lot more than that. But not any fault of any of you guys, Just wanted to let people know in case they called and could not get through! And thanks for the nice comments everyone!

Sometimes we have no choice but to be patient. We don't know they whole story from their side. Might be they are truly short handed in the way of qualified techs. It gets that way here. Once it's working, even sort of, the tech closes the ticket and moves on. The customer, unfortunately, is burdened with pestering them to keep on opening new tickets. That's all you can do sometimes. I'm sure they can and sometimes do ignore it, but if a line, or trunk is constantly needing attention, they have records and then are supposed to get more serious about it. But, who knows what the real hold up is?

Reminds me of a story that a good friends grandfather had. Neighbour kept smelling gas, called the company but would never come out. My buddy's grandfather told the lady to call the fire department and report a grass fire. She ask "Why the fire department?" He replied by throwing a match on the lawn, which ignited the gas coming out of the ground. She called the FD and they came right out, put out the fire and noticed it was a gas fire. They called the gas company who then came out and fixed the problem. Rusted out pipe naturally. That is called escalating the problem!
Pierre

Back