If Anyone Has Been Calling Us And Couldn't Get Through Both Precision Matthews / Quality Machine To

I feel your pain!

I run my business out of my home. A few years ago every time it rained our land line (AT&T), which has also been my business line for 22 years, would get really bad static and the DSL service would drop. The phone service would become almost unusable. I would call (on my cell) and they would come some days later and say they fixed it but it never got better until it was dry for a few days. The DSL service eventually became unusable and I had to drop it for a cable modem (Comcast, Ugh). One weekend after a pretty good storm the land line went completely dead. I called and made as much noise as I could repeating the trouble we had been having for over a year. It took them 6 days to get a senior service tech out and after some troubleshooting he came to the conclusion that......wait for it....... the line was bad (No S**T) and that there were no other good pairs available. He told me they had no plans to repair the overhead line and that they wanted to get rid of the land lines and have everyone on VoIP by 2020. The best part was that they could not even get me VoIP because it was not yet available in my area.

What you need to is call your state PUC/PUB the public utility commission/ board. They are the regulations people that ride heard on these company's. I had a similar problem until I called the PUC and within a week it was all cleaned up and my internet speed is more reliable and faster. The quality of audio over the line is no longer staticky either. Most of these company's have monopolys in their areas, and they know it so they get a little sloppy, but when they ask for a rate increase the PUC looks at complaints, and if they have a bunch of unresolved complains they don' get it.
Good luck.
CH

DON'T PAY YOUR BILL.. SOMEONE WILL BE RIGHT OUT

Sadly... this is what happens when a few national companies control a product...

We need open competition... however with the regulatory environment... it is too costly for anyone to get in.

Funny how things worked better... for less $$$... in days past... :)

Matt, you are a fair and patient guy... I am not sure I have that level of patience with big corps...
You are to be commended for that patience... however IMO some discussion with your provider about leaving for the competition... on a specific date... if the problem is not 100% resolved... might be of use.

Let us know how it turns out.

That is worst than some of the ones I saw in India and China. Someone in China would do do something like that and the customer complains for losing business, the tech could be executed.... lol

That is worst than some of the ones I saw in India and China. Someone in China would do do something like that and the customer complains for losing business, the tech could be executed.... lol

Sadly, in America the tech would be immune from responsibility... due to govt regs...
And folks wonder why there is not quality or customer service anymore...

DUUUUhhhh... :)

I feel your pain!

I run my business out of my home. A few years ago every time it rained our land line (AT&T), which has also been my business line for 22 years, would get really bad static and the DSL service would drop. The phone service would become almost unusable. I would call (on my cell) and they would come some days later and say they fixed it but it never got better until it was dry for a few days. The DSL service eventually became unusable and I had to drop it for a cable modem (Comcast, Ugh). One weekend after a pretty good storm the land line went completely dead. I called and made as much noise as I could repeating the trouble we had been having for over a year. It took them 6 days to get a senior service tech out and after some troubleshooting he came to the conclusion that......wait for it....... the line was bad (No S**T) and that there were no other good pairs available. He told me they had no plans to repair the overhead line and that they wanted to get rid of the land lines and have everyone on VoIP by 2020. The best part was that they could not even get me VoIP because it was not yet available in my area.
The only way they could get you on VOIP would be over DSL. Which requires working DSL. Which requires a working pair (unless you are to connect to their VOIP over your Comcast service, but then why would you bother with them at all?)

Call the PUC and file a formal complaint. Also call your state representative and ask him to lean on the PUC. There are solutions for them short of plowing in a new cable. They can install subscriber carrier on some of the existing pairs so that you and some of your neighbors share them. They have a state-protected monooply on telephone service in your area but with that comes a requirement that they provide that service.

Here they fall back on the excuse that they are planning on a major system rebuild and lots of the copper is being replaced with fiber. That's true, but the last mile is still copper and there are plenty of problems to deal with in that "short" stretch. In fact, I'd say most of the common single line problems are in that last bit of copper. So that excuse doesn't wash, but it makes people think that soon all the problems will be solved. So they put up with shoddy service. Locally, I know some people, so I can put a little squeeze on them and I don't have too many problems that aren't taken care of promptly.

You could always threaten to work on it yourself....that usually gets some attention lol.

Is there any way to do local phone service without land lines (via cell signal?)

If they ever roll that out... it will solve a LOT of problems.

We have something down here called 'Clear'... which is a plug in phone (wall wart) that works over the cell signal.

Back