Identify This Chuck

Is it possible to use the old backplate to transfer the holes? The register surfaces locate the chuck, the bolts just keep it from falling off.

Is it possible to use the old backplate to transfer the holes? The register surfaces locate the chuck, the bolts just keep it from falling off.

Oops I hit the wrong button

Well that's the problem the Old Brick plate was actually cut a little bit too small so there's no real way to line it up and less well I guess I can make some pins then pin to hold while I transfer punch the 3rd. Maybe that would be an option

But that's what I was talking about the holes in the backplate are oversized so there's no way to get a good centering of them I'm just going to wrap the transfer punch with a little bit of tape 2 Center at. Maybe I'll use some pins like I was saying. I just needed to come out right

If possible, the best way would be to take the chuck apart and use a transfer punch down through the chuck. This is the way I normally do it.

If possible, the best way would be to take the chuck apart and use a transfer punch down through the chuck. This is the way I normally do it.

See that's the thing these bolt on the back from the back they don't go through the inside of the truck or anything if you leave the check face down there's three tapped holes in it. The back plate has three corresponding through holes and 3 socket head cap screws.

This is originally why is going to used transfer screws but it turns out I don't have the right size.

I might just make some transfer screws and Harden them this afternoon. For one time use them they should be fine

That's what I did. I used socket cap screws the right thread size. Chucked them up in the lathe and parted off then turned a sharp on them.
File a flat on each side to get a pair of needle nose pliers and screw them in the same height. Put the plate on and make sure the boss is engaged. Then smack it with a rubber mallet.
Worked like a charm.

No need to harden them as I only used them once.

I absolutely love using transfer screws I got the most perfect alignment on the 5/16 hole you could not have gotten any more perfect I'm going to go put the trip together I have to rest for a minute I overdid it. I know it sounds ridiculous drawing three holes should not exhaust anybody. But that's what those antibodies do to me.

I'm just going to hit the holes with the rat tail file really quick just to get any birds up and then I will put the truck together indicate it and post my results if I got less than 2 thousands I'll be happy. I can work with tooth out even though I do not like it I have a couple of 4 jaw chucks if I need perfection.

Here's a question for you guys does anyone on this forum melt their own metal down into ingots to reuse? I've been seriously thinking about doing this I need a lot of half inch by 4 inch discs and it would save me a lot of money.

okay the verdict is in out of an 8 inch 3 jaw Chuck Nearest I can tell built around 1950 I got 1.7 thousand run Out

I can, live with that.

I am so pleased I was ready to throw the thing out I was so angry. I can't imagine what it would cost me to replace an 8-inch 3 jaw Chuck these days

For $56 I got like a brand new chuck woot woot! It's going to be so nice to be able to check up the simple things that don't matter in an instant instead of going through the ordeal of indicating every single thing I touch

Last edited:
Well I'm back to square one what was using the chuck today and noticed it was not doing well so I checked it and it was out just as bad as it has ever been out... So I was tinkering with it trying to figure out why the hell would it show lesson 2 thousandth run out one time then the next day show 8?

What if I open the jaws very wide and then close them on the drill rod I can get under 2K but if I open them and close them and tighten them then released them it goes out of whack so I guess it's the spiral mechanism after all that's all I can think of if anyone else has any ideas let me know

Last edited:
Sorry about all the typos I have to use voice recognition because in certain positions my hands don't work correctly for this tablet to keyboard. So some of the things that I write are less than ideal for reading lol

So I guess I'm going to be looking for a new 3 jaw Chuck, damn this sucks finding the maker of this truck again look for a new spiral assembly what is it called anyway? But I think at this point I gotta count my losses and move on.

I was so happy that I thought I fixed it what a let-down

Back