Identify This Chuck

You're very welcome. This site helped me find some good sources for stuff, CDCO being one of them with the best pricing for backplates I have seen. There is a thread about sources for machining items. I'll try to find it for you and link it here.

Well I just got my back plate I pulled it out of the box that was inside another box and the inter box fall apart it slipped and fell right on the floor it seems okay there's no chips no cracks hopefully all is well. The inner box look like you came from China it was one of those really flimsy ones.

I'm a little at a loss as to how to get started with this I know I have to turn it down to 7.5 inches or thereabouts I also have to create the flange for positioning it registered correctly on the Chuck. I will then create the through holes for the mounting hardware, is that it?

It seems almost too simple really. I'm going to get a new measurement on my spindle run out make sure that's all good before I start I'll check the flatness of the overall plate and turn that down once all the way across I imagine I might take a little bit off of the counter bore as it is much deeper then on my other Logan Chucks. I have beautiful videos on the subject and everyone is different because every truck is different. The good thing is if I do it wrong the thing is so thick I can always do it again so if anyone has any ideas don't feel bad about telling me I'm screwing up because I'm new and I'm a sponge I need to learn

I'm a little at a loss as to how to get started with this I know I have to turn it down to 7.5 inches or thereabouts I also have to create the flange for positioning it registered correctly on the Chuck. I will then create the through holes for the mounting hardware, is that it?

That's it. ;) It is pretty simple, but take your time and get it right.:)

Let me start over there was so many typos in that one I could even read it.

So I might understand very slow RPMs with a fairly fast feed rate does a job on this stuff? I'm having a hell of a time finding it. Facing it was easy for some reason but I cannot get any shorter cut with high speed steel I'm back using carbide. *****r by teams to turn it to peeling mess unless you go very fast on this feed rate

Last edited:
Turning the OD should be done at pretty slow RPM. I would proabaly use a feed rate of 0.001 to 0.002 or so. I would also use carbide.

This a little off-topic but I also need an 8" backplate (for an old model 14 Leblond with threaded spindle. I believe the treads are 2-⅛ 5 tpi. Is the CDCO 8" backplate thick enough in the hub area for this application? By existing backplate is usable but has a section broken out.

This a little off-topic but I also need an 8" backplate (for an old model 14 Leblond with threaded spindle. I believe the treads are 2-⅛ 5 tpi. Is the CDCO 8" backplate thick enough in the hub area for this application? By existing backplate is usable but has a section broken out.[/QUOTE

I think you would end up with 0.4375 after the 2 1/8 modification so it should be OK.
(7/8 / 2 = 0.4375)

I'll have to measure the hub to be sure. I'll let you know tomorrow

That's it. ;) It is pretty simple, but take your time and get it right.:)
Jesus I did not take my time and overshot my damn justification dimension somehow! OMGwhatva nightmare of a mess cast iron makes I'm going g to tear the lathe apart and clean every gear after this mess is done!

So now tomorrow I will be fixing this screw-up.... Luckily I only Made a couple of light passes when I bonered the flange..

Oi.

Oh and yes I got the hang of the speeds and feeds for polishing this turd

Okay well here I sit I'm going to admit how bad I suck.
I had to redo it 2 times yes a simple simple simple simple simple operation.

In the process I discovered my calipers are drunk they are giving me off readings that one of them the second time I snuck up on it impasse the point of no return somehow so there was like mm of slop in the back plate maybe a little more it's hard to read something when you get crappy instruments. So I was sick of using cheap Chinese brazed carbide pre-made tools because I have a whole bunch of really expensive inserts that my brother-in-law gave me so I made a tool to hold one of them as a result it went much faster and easier that's for sure. I still have to do the sneaking up on it method and then taking the back plate off of late and trying it feeling it feeling it excetera excetera and using the calipers has a physical reference to help close I was getting.

So now that all is said and done I have to press down on the back plate and it snaps into place you have to tap it off with a hammer so that should be about as good as it is I'm going to get.

No my next problem is going to be drilling the through holes they are oversized so are there any tricks I don't want it to be tight on one side and then not be able to fit the Damned backplate on I guess I could make real thin little bushings for the whole I really wanted to or is it good enough just the eyeball in the center?

Maybe a couple turns a masking tape?

Back