Identify This Chuck

Normally they are about an inch thick at the edge.
As a matter of opinion should I reduce it to match the current plate or simply make the mating profile fit and leave all of that excess material in place? It's going to be one heavy ass chuck lol

I'm sorry that I have to ask so many questions, buy I simply, can not afford to make a mistake right now. Not to mention with my physical condition it will probably take me a month to complete the simple operations nessasary to accomplish this small job. I hate to be a whiner but I have been stuck in traction for a week for the most part lol.

I normally remove the minimum amount of material required to get the chuck mounted. Mass is your friend to help reduce vibration.

Ask away, we are here to help where we can. Sorry to hear about you condition, I can't imagine what you are going through.

Like Jim said. Leave it thick. You don't need to spend much - the quality of the result will be in your work to mount the chuck (an expensive back plate does not make the chuck more accurate). I recently mounted up a collet chuck, you can see the flange is quite thick. It was also the cheapest back plate I could find. I had to tune the mounting taper (just some AlOx cloth and about 15 times test mounting) and it fits just to my liking.

DSCF5843.JPG

DSCF5844.JPG

I blew up the 5th picture. It appears to be the German manufacture by the name Gotz. Unfortunately, the t was hard to read and the rest of the letters were almost impossible. But I hope this helps.

I normally remove the minimum amount of material required to get the chuck mounted. Mass is your friend to help reduce vibration.

Ask away, we are here to help where we can. Sorry to hear about you condition, I can't imagine what you are going through.

Don't feel too bad. I was diagnosed with Paraneoplastic syndrome Lambert-eaton syndrome which basically means make your final arrangements. A few months ago I got a call from my excited doctor telling me that the killer antibody was gone from my blood work!
Not dying is a good thing! I'm stuck with pain and a 90mg methadone addiction but I get to stick around play with my grid kids!

Life is good

Like Jim said. Leave it thick. You don't need to spend much - the quality of the result will be in your work to mount the chuck (an expensive back plate does not make the chuck more accurate). I recently mounted up a collet chuck, you can see the flange is quite thick. It was also the cheapest back plate I could find. I had to tune the mounting taper (just some AlOx cloth and about 15 times test mounting) and it fits just to my liking.
That helps a great deal thank you

Should I not be paying 80 dollars for this?
It seems like they are all at least that much

CDCO lists a semi-finished back plate, 8" OD x 1.5-8TPI for $56 plus shipping. I have used one and plan to order another. The cast iron material cuts well enough to get a good fit when completed. If someone knows a better place to get them, please let us all know. CDCO's website is http://cdcotools.com/

CDCO lists a semi-finished back plate, 8" OD x 1.5-8TPI for $56 plus shipping. I have used one and plan to order another. The cast iron material cuts well enough to get a good fit when completed. If someone knows a better place to get them, please let us all know. CDCO's website is http://cdcotools.com/
Well thank you very much for finding that I wonder why that hasn't come up on Google searches for me I'll have to check this site out thanks again

I ordered the back plate from cdco and he shipped it already so that's cool shipping was a little crazy for flat rate but at least he used flat rate he charged me perhaps $8 handling. Which is fine it's probably not that high... I was a little put off that I didn't want to tell me any information it sounds like you couldn't bother helping me on the phone. I called them too see if he had drawings for all those parts because they couldn't find them on his website and he couldn't understand what I was talking about it sounded like he was perhaps a Lebanese. I used to be able to make out the different dialects of the different accents is it from Dearborn but it was definitely Middle Eastern. But the main thing is I get in the back plates in the mail I'll be able to turn it down this weekend hopefully God willing.

Thanks again for your help in finding it

Little Machine Shop carries back plates with 1-1/2-8 thread in 4" and 6" OD's. I don't recall them having one 8" OD or even 7-1/2" OD. I've bought both the 4" and 6" OD one's from them. The 6" one is about 6-1/4" OD. They are nice! Shipping, well about the same price as everyone else, pricy!

Back