I’d like to blame the tool, but…

AlfromNH

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
What the heck went wrong here? My first attempt at cutting threads. After this mess I re-turned the diameter and made one plunge cut using the same bit and it cut cleanly. So, speed? Depth of cut? I didn’t use any cutting oil…
25B385E6-4649-4101-96DD-2FEB0BB6474B.jpeg

What he said. Lube is necessary. So is a sharp properly set up cutting tool.

Please show us a picture of your setup that shows how you configured your compound and tooling. A lot of issues from new folks are related to this, so it helps us help you, if you show a clear picture of the setup.

Metric or imperial threads? Metric or imperial lead screw on your lathe? How did you set up each pass? Did you use a thread dial?

You can leave the compound slide parallel with the bed and feed the tool forwards towards the chuck 1/2 the depth of cut per pass. This will simulate a 27 degree feed in angle keeping the tool load 93% on the leading edge to help with swarf control.
I would also slightly nip the saddle clamp to prevent it jumping forward when the handle goes past top dead centre or disengage the saddle handwheel if possible when cutting.

I can't tell exactly by looking at the picture, but if you have a sharp tool and you're not taking passes too deep, perhaps you're making the mistake I did when I failed to cut my first threads.

One word explains it: backlash.

Specifically, I don't have a thread dial, I would run one pass, then to reposition the tool I would reverse the lathe attempting to drive the bit backwards hoping it will take the same path it did when cutting material just in reverse. Backlash meant that the bit was slightly misaligned when returning resulting in my tool ruining the thread on the return pass. It looked like this picture too.

The correct thing to do is to withdraw, the cutter a known amount back before reversing.

Another backlash issue I had was that I drove that lathe back right to a point where the thread woukd start. Then I had no leading undercut so the tool would cut immediately before backlash from reversing worked it's way out through the gears. The first mm or so of the thread was a mess. The lesson? Always run few mm in direction of threading first before cutting. A 2mm undercut is all it takes next to a shoulder.

Finally, another issue that has nothing to do with backlash was that I was cutting too deep ruining the thread on the last pass. I'm now using the "no-trig" "measure thread depth with your cross slide" technique from Joe Pie video. And all my threads are beautiful :)

If you have a QCTP, lift the tool out then reverse the lathe until the tool post is well beyond the end of work, the drop it back in.

By lifting out you change noting on compound.

By going well past the Ed thete is space for any and all backlash to wind back out.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I do have a QCTP, hadn't thought of removing the tool. What I was doing is backing off the cross slide, the returning to the previously established "0" after removing the backlash.

That works as well, but backlash can matter.

Back off a full turn, stopping in the exact same spot that you started.

That way, you remember where you was, and are more likely to go past any backlash.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back