I want to upgrade the lighting on my lawn tractor...

I have a pair of LED Grote I believe 4". I'm not impressed with the output. Don't recall the price, I just know I was disappointed. They are heavy for what they are. I also have a no name LED light bar that is fairly impressive that came with another purchase. It's pretty light compared to the Grotes. Not sure which is more effective with cooling the lights? . I've been around some name brand light bars that were very impressive but incredibly expensive. Not sure if the difference in price was worth the difference in output, especially for your use.

For your use I would go with a reasonable priced option like what you posted and see how it works then add more as needed.

GREUNION 12 inch LED 300W led pods Lights, 20000LM led Golf cart Work Light bar IP68 led spot Flood Combo Beam Fog Light bar for Boat ATV UTV Trucks SUV Tractor​

on Amazon $25.99 I installed some commercial mowers well-liked by by the owner
thanks, but too high on the wattage I think. I don't think I can pull that much from my alternator.

thanks, but too high on the wattage I think. I don't think I can pull that much from my alternator.
That's not actual wattage draw, it is intended to show equivalent light output compared to incandescent.

I purchased this set for backup lights on my '68 GMC plow truck.

I connected them directly to the existing backup light wiring (16 ga.) with no problems. No more backing into fences and power poles.

I also bought a pair of these at the same time. Extremely bright. Planning to mount them along side my halogen plow lights.

That's not actual wattage draw, it is intended to show equivalent light output compared to incandescent.

I purchased this set for backup lights on my '68 GMC plow truck.

I connected them directly to the existing backup light wiring (16 ga.) with no problems. No more backing into fences and power poles.

I also bought a pair of these at the same time. Extremely bright. Planning to mount them along side my halogen plow lights.
Current LED efficiency runs a little over 100 lumens/watt. If they are truly 20,000 lumen , that would indicate a power draw of around 200 watts or 14 amps on a 12 volt alternator.

many of those do not indicate any wattage of the draw.
Thanks RJ that's helpful. So based on what I am seeing, the HF light bar seems like a good fit,
the northern are just too expensive for what they are.. but are 0.06 draw, but at 283 lumens, are less than my crappy flashlight. so I'll pass. I could just wire up my flashlight and be done.

many of those do not indicate any wattage of the draw.
Thanks RJ that's helpful. So based on what I am seeing, the HF light bar seems like a good fit,
the northern are just too expensive for what they are.. but are 0.06 draw, but at 283 lumens, are less than my crappy flashlight. so I'll pass. I could just wire up my flashlight and be done.
All of the claims regarding lumens and wattage should be taken with half a pound of salt, assuming your cardiologist will permit it.
Comments in the reviews are probably a better indication of "watt" you can expect. Wire gauge is the best indicator of actual requirement. The units I posted in the second link above have leads that are about .035" diameter, so about 20 ga.

LEDS don't take many amps. My customer uses this light bar on ALL of his 22 and 25 HP zero turn and strandup mowers.

Well, I went out and mowed tonight at twilight. It's a little harder to see at that time.
After it went dark, a few observations.
Randall was right, I need lights behind me on the fender to see where I am turning, especially around trees, and obstacles. I don't have big wide fenders so I'll have to see what I can do.
With flood lights, it's very hard to see your line ahead, or when to turn. Flood lights offer a more diffuse light and soften the line.
I think a spot would help define the line better. So maybe lights with a mix of flood and spot , so maybe @fixit was onto something with the lights he mentioned.

The HF lights are good, but they are not very wide close in, they get wide out further, so seeing your turn point is a little tough.

In the morning, I'll see how I did. I did not do the whole lawn, just about half. I didn't want to get near the courts tonight.
Do I think this will help.. you bet, I think I need to refine it a bit.

Back