I want to upgrade the lighting on my lawn tractor...

When adding anything to the hood watch the weight. It puts more stress on the hinges and can cause problems. You likely will add lights to the hood but just be careful about too much weight. Open and close carefully
The hinge on mine is bolt on both sides with a plastic insert for the sheet metal, and a hair clip (I think that's what it's called).
and I have welded up my hood from rust, and also riveted it up.

Just looked at the specs on a set from Amazon ebay, what a farce.

• LED Power: 400W
  • Light Angle :30°Spot Beam
  • Voltage: DC 9-30V
  • Compatiblility Both: 12V- 24V vehicles
  • Waterproof rate: IP 68
  • LED: 4Pcs*high intensity LEDs
  • Theoretical Lumens Output: 800000LM
  • Color Temperature: 6000K White
  • Material: Diecast aluminum housing,stainless steel brackets
  • Working temperature: -40~85°C
  • Accessories: Screws
  • Size(W+D+H): 3*3*2.5inch (Approx)
  • Certification: CE, RoHs, FCC
  • Lifetime: Over 50,000
  • Applications:Back up light;Indoor & Outdoor uses;Truck, Trailer Interior & Exterior Lighting;Off Road Lighting;Boat Lighting;Construction Lighting;Garden, Backyard Lighting
Features:

• 【Super Bright 40W Spot Pods】 3inch 40w Lamp, Lighted by 4pcs 10W led chips, enables longer illumination range and better visibility. Helps to reduce traffic accidents caused by bad weather or bad road conditions. Ensure the safety of the driver.

Last edited:
Just a suggestion, but consider mounting your additional lights on the rear fenders, just behind your line of sight. That way you can angle them somewhat wide and they work well throwing light forward as well as seeing off to the side as you turn.

I gotta agree, mowing at night is sometimes necessary. Both from timing of things, and from heat of the day.

Gotta love the specs above. 30 degree "spot" beam (my emphasis).

I use just generic led work lights. Something like this:

IMG_3363.jpeg

you want work/flood light style for mowing. You need lots of light spread wide up close. No chance of ”over driving” them on a lawn tractor. 100 or so feet throw is more than enough.

Make up a mounting bar that you can attach to the front and you can install/remove them as needed.

As mentioned above, If you are mowing at night you want to be lit up like the sun. You want 360° of light to you do not hit anything. Distance means nothing, Realistically you need 10 to 20 feet of light on the sides and back and maybe 50 feet ahead to help line up rows of cutting. Most any light will get these distances beam width is what matters to you. The narrower the beam pattern the more fixtures you will need to fill the pattern.
Driving lights have a very narrow beam so more light can be sent farther down the road.
Fog lights have a very wide beam that is very small vertically.
Flood lights have a wide tall beam that has the shortest range but a big beam pattern.

With fog lights mounted on my truck splayed out a bit I can get a full 180° beam pattern but it only good for about 30 yards. I have other lights to se distance.

Also you want to pay attention to AMP draw. most mowers do not have a real strong alternator to power lots of lights. If the vehicle total amp draw with the lights on is more than the alternator has they will be running off the battery and it may die in the middle of the job
For automotive use, many LED lights pull more amps than the halogen or incandescent they are replacing. Energy is not free, More light takes more power, simple laws of physics that many in marketing and advertising are betting most people do not understand.

I found that using the flood type of light work better than the spot light on the farm tractors. Just watch the wattage so the alternator isn’t over loaded.

Sometimes we don't have the luxury of waiting until the next day.
Sweet looking big Deere there . :encourage: For the OP , you may want to contact fin on here . Its been awhile but my Cubs were always upgraded and he has stuck with it over the years . I'm trying to get back to that point .

Just a suggestion, but consider mounting your additional lights on the rear fenders, just behind your line of sight. That way you can angle them somewhat wide and they work well throwing light forward as well as seeing off to the side as you turn.

I gotta agree, mowing at night is sometimes necessary. Both from timing of things, and from heat of the day.

Gotta love the specs above. 30 degree "spot" beam (my emphasis).
I got it wrong, it was ebay not amazon.. they say its a spot/flood
800000lm.jpg

I don't have fenders that stick out . Mine are inside the front... I'll get a pic tomorrow. That would be a good idea, also cooler for the light, but hotter on me.

With global warming, I think I am going to have to mow later and later to avoid the heat. Or early in the morning when it's low humidity. We've had heavy ground fog here the last few days..

The square lights make it difficult, but there may be LED replacement for the bulb.

Other option is an LED light bar that can be bolted to a bracket that is attached to the weight bar.

Place it across the top of the weights.

TSC has a fair assortment of lighting devices, give them a visit.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back