I need/want an Arbor press

I have to watch how it's working because the broach ends to tilt backwards and will cut the keyway angled.
This is the situation I was referring to when I recommended orienting the broach/part so you can see the profile of the teeth. Makes it much easier to detect.

This is the situation I was referring to when I recommended orienting the broach/part so you can see the profile of the teeth. Makes it much easier to detect.
I normally do that, but I first line up the broach at a right angle with the split in the clamp so it looks professionally done. I send these parts all over the world and I don't want customers to think it's from some broken down old guy in a shop in his back yard (which it is) ;)

Thank you for all of the responses everyone. If I can get one to Carson California, my friend has space on a container, then I can get it here to Kauai. I'll keep looking for a good one.

Correction: Mine is a Famco 2ton. Pretty sure broaching would be out of the question.

I've broached keyways over 1 1/4" wide on a 90 ton Dake press. It's dangerous if you don't know what you're doing and what to look for when a problem arises! If you're doing small stuff, and you're not comfortable using a hyd. get a arbor press.
I had one explode on me. I was using a pneumatic hydraulic press at work.
I had no feedback whatsoever. First pass went easy easy, the shim that came with the kit was too aggressive. I learned a lesson.
That broach was $85
I think an arbor press is ideal for broaching and pressing bearings.

I had one explode on me. I was using a pneumatic hydraulic press at work.
I had no feedback whatsoever. First pass went easy easy, the shim that came with the kit was too aggressive. I learned a lesson.
That broach was $85
I think an arbor press is ideal for broaching and pressing bearing

I totally agree. Using the press I mentioned was only due to the physical size of the parts I had worked on. I was lucky enough to never had one explode on me.

Be careful, this copy may (probably ) be smaller than the original that you may have seen elsewhere.
Note that no specifications are quoted in the ad.
The throat does look shallow for a 3 ton.
On the other hand, they come in different lengths but there is no such thing as a cheap broach. Imho

Dang, from seeing those prices I got a smokin deal on mine.

Last edited:
Thank you for the link, I'm looking at them now.

Back