I need/want an Arbor press

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I would like to round out my ability to do keyways. I have the hyd press, but I'm leery of the possible consequences. I would like to avoid a Chinese knock off, but this one looks decent with free shipping. Any comments, or ideas?
1634881193965.png

if you plan on using an arbor press, get one with extra tall headspace
you may be severely limited by the 11" opening
the 1/4" Dumont C push broach i have here is 11-3/4" long by itself, much less stacked onto a workpiece
obviously shorter broaches could be used successfully

Good point Mike. I have a 20T, but From what I've heard the broach can release in fragments if things get out of line. I have not tried it, so I'm not confident in attempting it. The hack in me would try it in a heart beat if I had to. :rolleyes:

My AAI co-worked ended up in the ER with broach parts in his stomach . No feel with a hydraulic press . A 3 ton Dake would be perfect Mike . And the one you pictured would work great also with the shorter broaches .
Good point Mike. I have a 20T, but From what I've heard the broach can release in fragments if things get out of line. I have not tried it, so I'm not confident in attempting it. The hack in me would try it in a heart beat if I had to. :rolleyes:

I have the 11 3/4" broaches, and used Dakes are 900 bucks:oops:

I had one set aside at work and the thing disappeared overnight . Never did find out where it went . They should be emptying out the other plant very soon is what I'm hearing . I'll be making up my wanted list for them . :encourage:

I’ve never did broaching , how much pressure , tonnage , does it take to cut a large size ? Reason I ask is I have a cheap HF hydraulic one and thought someday I might get a arbor press to do keyways

I’ve never did broaching , how much pressure , tonnage , does it take to cut a large size ? Reason I ask is I have a cheap HF hydraulic one and thought someday I might get a arbor press to do keyways
What do you define as large?

I have a three ton Famco. Pretty sure I could not broach with it. Just not enough oomph.

Back