I hate the vice clamp on my 4x6 bandsaw.

Simply insert the same size stock in the other end of the vise. This will prevent the vise from twisting. Fast and simple work around.
That only works if you actually have a piece of the same stock. More often than not, I'm shimming it with 2x4s and the like. The whole point is to make it quicker and easier. I've got a million workarounds but they all suck and they're time consuming. When I'm in the middle of building something, nothing burns me more than taking 4 times longer than it should because of a cheesy piece of equipment. I could mill out a v-block with a hacksaw and a file, but I really don't want to.:vomit:

Another simple solution to the small part problem.
Use a small drill press vise, clamped into the regular vise. you should be able to get right up close.
I agree the back jaw wastes space, I am going to move mine as well.
Larry

This is some great info, I think I will use the jack screw idea for my saw..

just have to find a reasonable sized thread for quick movement.

Last edited:
I have a Dayton 4x6 I bought used in the 70's. It was my only bandsaw for several years. I drilled and tapped some holes in the cast iron surface the metal rests on (the bed of the saw). I can use step blocks and clamps from my milling machine to hold short stock,and also to clamp down blocks of metal that I want to saw off at an angle,like 45 degrees on a corner. It has worked out fine. That little saw still runs,and though I have a contour saw and a Roll In band saw(a super nice machine),I still use the little bandsaw to saw off bars of metal. It is just handier than my larger saws. Mine might be USA made. I can't find any info on it about being Asian. It just says Dayton,and was used even in the early 70's.

Here's what I did today. I made the v- block/ short piece holder but with my own twist on it. Shown here holding a 2" dia. x 1 1/2" long round stock
20131126_180353_zps1ce9d2c7.jpg
The v block is removable to hold square pieces, it just slides right over the studs. No need to have a different setup on the other end for fllat/squrae pieces. I also like the fact that i can setup the angle in the jig for short pieces. I added wing nuts on the clamp ends for quick turn down. The final tightening happens with the center bolt. I made all the studs and bolts 5/16" just like the bolts that hold the vice together on the band saw. This allowed me to make up this purpose built 1/2" socket T-wrench which is only for the band saw. The T-wrench turns everything vice related.
20131126_175148_zps7d821393.jpg
Showing the same T-wrench on the vice bolts.
20131126_175052_zps377e9947.jpg
Shown here taking a thin slice off the round bar stock.
20131126_173137_zps9b3019bf.jpg

I think I'm also gonna make a front panel below where the saw dust falls to keep the dust out of the shelf area. Next I'm gonna make a table to be able to use it as a vertical band saw. I lost my table in the divorce. She wanted half of everything, so I gave her the table.:LOL:

20131126_180353_zps1ce9d2c7.jpg

20131126_175148_zps7d821393.jpg

20131126_175052_zps377e9947.jpg

20131126_173137_zps9b3019bf.jpg

Nice v-block clamp. I think I'll need to make one of those myself too.

I think I'm also gonna make a front panel below where the saw dust falls to keep the dust out of the shelf area.

I made a simple tray using a thick aluminum baking pan from Walmart. Doesn't catch 100% of the chips but I'm very happy with it & it sure beats using a cardboard box that I used to use.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...4x6-Bandsaw-Mods?p=91131&viewfull=1#post91131

Img_6844.jpg

As for the jaws, I drilled & tapped new holes to move the larger jaw closer to the blade. Downside is I'd have to move it back to it's original posistion for angle cuts which I rarely do anyway. There's a few times I needed something closer but this has been working out great for me so far.

Img_6868.jpg

Before
Img_6867.jpg

Img_6844.jpg

Img_6868.jpg

Img_6867.jpg

IMG_5820.JPG IMG_5821.JPG

I made a simple tray using a thick aluminum baking pan from Walmart. Doesn't catch 100% of the chips but I'm very happy with it & it sure beats using a cardboard box that I used to use.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...4x6-Bandsaw-Mods?p=91131&viewfull=1#post91131

View attachment 163672

As for the jaws, I drilled & tapped new holes to move the larger jaw closer to the blade. Downside is I'd have to move it back to it's original posistion for angle cuts which I rarely do anyway. There's a few times I needed something closer but this has been working out great for me so far.

View attachment 163673

Before
View attachment 163675

View attachment 163672

View attachment 163673

Before
View attachment 163675

Lots of great ideas here! Mine is perhaps the simplest of all. It does require looking for an item the same width for the other end of the clamp as mentioned above. I could remove the plate from the adjustable side - but have not found a need for that extra 1/4" of width yet. I will be using some of the ideas on this thread!!! Till then, this works for me.20170528 01.jpg 20170528 02.jpg

I tapped a hole in the back of the moveable jaw, and thread a bolt through it when needed.

Back