I hate the vice clamp on my 4x6 bandsaw.

I hate the vice clamp on my 4x6 bandsaw.

I can't cut small pieces on it because of the floppy moveable jaw. I also think that the stationary, protractor jaw should be closer to the blade. Also that stationary jaw should be pushed back further to be able to use the maximum width of the blade opening, right close to the guide rollers. Plus, the clamping surface edge should be closer to the blade. Has anyone here tackled this problem? I don't want to reinvent the wheel, if someone else has already come up with a solution to this issue. I'm seriously thinking about making a whole new set of clamping surfaces for this piece of crap engineering debacle. Anyone?

Marcel

Marcel,

Here's what I did with mine....

Short stock.jpg

John

Short stock.jpg

You see all the room there is to the right of the fixed jaw? I know that it's there for when we need to angle it, but sometimes that extra width would be helpful when cutting some wider stuff. That's not the biggest issue, but what the hell, while I'm at it, myswell !

I have a larger Startrite bandsaw and we all have the same problem. I have 2 solutions for cutting short or irregular pieces. When cutting pieces like you show in the picture I use the step blocks from my hold down set on the other end of the jaws. If it is larger piece I use 2 threaded rod from my hold down set with a coupling nut between them to adjust the back of the jaws just a little wider than the blade side.
Another handy accessory is a 4 x 6" plate of 1/2 " steel with several 1/2" holes in it for the bolts of hold down clamps. This allows me to clamp down almost any small or irregular sized pieces.
Hope this helps,
Michael

You see all the room there is to the right of the fixed jaw? I know that it's there for when we need to angle it, but sometimes that extra width would be helpful when cutting some wider stuff. That's not the biggest issue, but what the hell, while I'm at it, myswell !

Make a slot so it can slide out of the way for miter cuts.

I have a larger Startrite bandsaw and we all have the same problem. I have 2 solutions for cutting short or irregular pieces. When cutting pieces like you show in the picture I use the step blocks from my hold down set on the other end of the jaws. If it is larger piece I use 2 threaded rod from my hold down set with a coupling nut between them to adjust the back of the jaws just a little wider than the blade side.
Another handy accessory is a 4 x 6" plate of 1/2 " steel with several 1/2" holes in it for the bolts of hold down clamps. This allows me to clamp down almost any small or irregular sized pieces.
Hope this helps,
Michael
Reminds me of a cutting fixture I made when I was rebuilding my corn head.
I needed a bunch of flat washers to be cut flat on one side for clearance reasons so I took a chunk of C channel and welded a bolt to it placed small stacks of washers on the bolt and tightened them down with a nut for cutting.
Worked out slick.

CuttingJig.jpg

CuttingJig.jpg

Last edited:
I was given a Delta just like the one shown here. It has been extremely useful, especially since it can cut horizontally and vertically. However, I have the same jaw issues, and have used drops or step blocks to get a good clamp up. Next summer I will replace bearings, make a chip pan, strip and repaint, and other improvements to this great little saw that refuses to die. Its worth a little work and upkeep.

Tom

I really like these ideas. This will solve the short piece dilemma. I also like the vertical table. I lost my table years ago and I never took the time to make a new one. I also like the quick t-handle on the moveable clamp, but I'm gonna make 2 more for the fixed jaw to make it easy to move ,adjust , or remove the vice completely when doing large pieces.
.Shop_006_Bandsaw_Clamp.jpg
clamp1.jpgtable4.jpg

clamp1.jpg table4.jpg Shop_006_Bandsaw_Clamp.jpg

Hope this helps,
Michael

Now that's a great idea! Another use for step blocks...

John

Simply insert the same size stock in the other end of the vise. This will prevent the vise from twisting. Fast and simple work around.

Back