I am out of control.

Re: I am out of control Like new Craftsman Block grinder with OE base score.

I have one just like it. It's a very well built grinder.

good to know, I haven't even got to use it yet. Still too cold to do anything.
I got a heater in the closed off laundry area, so I have been working on the PM sanders bearing back there on or 2 nights.

Instead of spending that much on a spoon bit, take the right size of spade bit and round off the end. To stop chatter, cut the shaft off to about 2" to 3" long.

that is a good Idea, I may just try that.
You know though, I would have to Try on scrap, but a regular square bottom hole might get me by.

- - - Updated - - -

Latest e bay find.
Gave $345.00 with shipping.
Did not think that was a bad price for a 044.
044 is your 31" long gerstner machinist box, but these are known as the "Pattern Makers Box"
Mostly I think it's just gonna need a good clean up, via murphy's oil soap.
And a few coats of my favorite paste wax.

$_57.JPG

Here is the latest, Gave $500.00 for the set.
This one is Really Brand New, Brand new.
It is another O42
Came with the riser.
I am going to need a whole room just for machinist boxes.......LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Instead of spending that much on a spoon bit, take the right size of spade bit and round off the end. To stop chatter, cut the shaft off to about 2" to 3" long.

you know what I am thinking now?
When ever I find or make the brass cup, according to the size, it really don't have to ne a round bottom hole. A flat bottom hole should be fine too, as you will not see it with the cup installed in the drawer front.

DSCF1333.jpg DSCF1332.jpg DSCF1331.jpg

I gotta tell you guys, I am a little envious. I have always wanted a Gerstner, but the new ones are out of range for me. And with these rough oil patch shops here, there are not many wood boxes around. I have left that behind now, so the desire has been rekindled. I wish I could get my hands on one, even to restore. I can do the woodwork, and if it weren't for just the name, I guess I could copy one. Would rather have an original though, even if I had to rework it.

Keep checking Craigslist.
That is where I found this one.
The last one, I paid a little more than I wanted but it's in nice shape too. (The other 042, Not the long Pattern makers)
The pattern makers needed more work than he let on, (E bay seller) so we worked out a partial refund deal, where I was happier.
I had to glue down the veneer in several spots, and I thought it would lay down nice, but after clamping, I had some raised sections, where I was forced to sand.
So then I was worried I was going to cut through the veneer, But I was good, ...........LOL..........Or lucky really, and was able to level it nicely with out cutting through.
I do have a few minor minor spots where I would like a little filler, but I loaned my filler to someone, and when I got it back, (bet you thought I was gonna say I never got it back)
I put it in a different place. So now I can't find it. What is your favorite filler, I forget what this last tube was, but it seemed to work OK.
A lot of times it would dry up before I used hardly any of it, but this tube seemed to hang in there,. As you can see, I took the handle off to make it easier to sand and apply the finish.

EDIT
If you click on the picture, and click on it again, then click on that one again, It "blows it up" pretty good, you can see 3 small spots. (This in in Firefox, I am guessing other browsers are the same)
They were holes drilled in there, I don't know why. (I knew about them before I got it)
What I did there was glued in pieces of a tooth pick ,(the round kind) and sanded flush.
Hopefully it won't be too noticeable.

DSCF1374.JPG DSCF1375.JPG

Last edited:
Here is one I did, not sure if it's a Gerstner, But I got it pretty cheap off e bay, a while back.
I had to clean it and clean it, as you can see it was black.
On fellow asked mi it the wood was that nice under the leatherette?
I said LOL.......Thats not leatherette, that is just how black it was.
After cleaning, The finish was wore pretty thin, and also I had to make the drawer the 2nd one Up from the bottom.
I finished the box in shellac.
Also the front panel, I took the top rail, and turned it around. I never did put a finger pull in it, I still may do that.
One box I re did, I had to make a new front panel, I used a finger pull out of a sliding closet door. It did not look bad either.
l can't seem to find one showing the front panel, The top rail was pretty rough on the out side, But OK on the inside, So I flipped the top rail inside out

When I Got It.jpg after.jpg G Box 2.jpg Better match.jpg

Back