I am out of control.

Guess I'm on a roll here, got to quit spending money, this is it for a while. :whiteflag:

And just paid way more than I should have for a Delta "Retirement light" , But my "$5.00 dollar delta retirement light flea market find hope and dream, so far is not happening.......................LOL
Note the arm is 3 piece, where many are only two.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141145051238?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I have that light on my Delta Bandsaw (came with the 1970s saw that I bought at an auction). It is a nice light, but the prices for them are crazy!!

Jack

Those lights are very expensive!! I have a nickel plated old sewing machine light on my 14" Delta bandsaw.

I got a pretty cool looking stainless steel shaded lamp from Lowes a few weeks ago for $20.00. My wife commandeered it. It has a simple,business like dome shaped shade,and a bunch of LED's. It has a stainless steel goose neck. It is VERY bright. I didn't really need it,but for the cool factor,I thought I could find a machine to mount it on. It comes with a big clip on thing to clip onto a table. I'd remove that and make a different way to mount it less clunky.

Now,I'll have to get another one. Maybe I'll put it on a die filer. The shade is only about 4" in dia.,if it is that much.

Those lights are very expensive!! I have a nickel plated old sewing machine light on my 14" Delta bandsaw.

I got a pretty cool looking stainless steel shaded lamp from Lowes a few weeks ago for $20.00. My wife commandeered it. It has a simple,business like dome shaped shade,and a bunch of LED's. It has a stainless steel goose neck. It is VERY bright. I didn't really need it,but for the cool factor,I thought I could find a machine to mount it on. It comes with a big clip on thing to clip onto a table. I'd remove that and make a different way to mount it less clunky.

Now,I'll have to get another one. Maybe I'll put it on a die filer. The shade is only about 4" in dia.,if it is that much.

sounds nice, I came up with this one maybe put it on my metal or wood lathe,

I have that light on my Delta Bandsaw (came with the 1970s saw that I bought at an auction). It is a nice light, but the prices for them are crazy!!

Jack

I know they are High, too high, but what the hay.

I cannibalized one of those little walmart clip on lights, added a longer goose neck, and wired it up.
Had to machine down the 1/8" pipe thread nipple a little shorter, as it was interfering with the socket.
OEM goose neck on the clip light was way too short. (as shown).
Just need to fab. a little bracket to mount it.

1502207_10201047345616227_1047392052_o.jpg 1490861_10201047345816232_573946385_o.jpg

I wonder why they call them retirement lights? Maybe you are too blind to see anything by the time you're retired? I got implanted lenses put in,and last year was 20-15. Wasn't that bad before,just some mild cataracts. But,I could not see my gunsights before,and now I can see them,and can read my wristwatch without glasses(though a little blurry). I need closeup lenses for doing work in the shop. Just got the single vision lenses. I don't mind glasses. They keep chips out of my eyes.

I think the story goes, they are so expensive, if you had enough of them,you could sell them and fund your retirement.

I am telling you I am out of control ......................lol

Need to make drawer for this one, where can I get the drawer pull?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261347350934?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

no one knows a source, or has any laying around for the little ring pull for the front of the drawer?
I might try making one, I have some little brass rings coming, about 5/8" ID, but need to get some `.030 brass stock to see if I can form the cup.
Just wish I could find some.
Machinist chest.com has some 3 hole ones that should work, but they are not taking orders yet.
What about a drill bit that drills a round bottom hole?
They have round bottom holes on the drawer front on this chest.

http://machinistchest.com/site/product_details.php?category_id=54&item_id=27

BrasslRingpull_1.jpg

BrasslRingpull_1.jpg

Would you have a link to that light?

here is the union chest so far, drawers striped, new drawer made,
I tried to keep it simple, just made a box drawer, then used a false front.
See where I loose depth though?
Looks OK closed...............LOL
Should have made the front of the box drawer thinner, (~ 3/16") and the drawer longer, or used a loc rabbit like they do,
but it's done, and I don't feel like starting over.

Also is this other light I came up with, sorry if I showed this already,
I cannibalized one of those little walmart clip on lights, added a longer goose neck, and wired it up.
Had to machine down the 1/8" pipe thread nipple a little shorter, as it was interfering with the socket. (lnside Dome)
OEM goose neck on the clip light was way too short. (as shown).
Just need to fab. a little bracket to mount it.

EDIT, Yeah, Guess I did show it above, getting old and forgetful..................

DSCF1027.JPG DSCF1025.JPG DSCF1020 KISS.JPG DSCF1019 KISS.JPG 1490861_10201047345816232_573946385_o(1).jpg 1502207_10201047345616227_1047392052_o(1).jpg

Last edited:
Anthony,

My first stop for hardware is usually Lee Valley tools.
For your pull-ring, unfortunately, nothing very similar comes up:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/Search.aspx?action=a&pb=1&ap=1#start

However, they do have "spoon bits" for wood that make a round bottom hole:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=57713&cat=1,180,42337

maybe not worth the price for one hole, but certainly looks like something that could be made.

Good Luck!

brino

yeah, John at machinist chest dot com was the only one that had anything close.

Instead of spending that much on a spoon bit, take the right size of spade bit and round off the end. To stop chatter, cut the shaft off to about 2" to 3" long.

Back