How to Unload/Unbox new 14x40 lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that you would return used lumber back to Home Depot says a lot about you.

Here is the contrivance I rigged up on the loader forks to set the trusses on my garage.
I returned these beams too.

Attachments

• 2022-09-03_08_41_41.jpg
    2022-09-03_08_41_41.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 2022-09-03_08_42_21.jpg
    2022-09-03_08_42_21.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 2023-01-21_10_27_22.jpg
    2023-01-21_10_27_22.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 29
Again, I cannot stress how helpful members on here can be if asked. I know we have quite a few in Wisconsin, not sure where they are but one of our California members drove over 3 hours to help me move a 13 x 40 lathe. Another member was more local and brought rollers, pinch bar, and lots of other stuff including his knowledge and experience.

That day I learned quite a bit about moving equipment, and the generosity of folks who share this hobby.
We have a sub-forum:

You can post there, or here in general for assistance, I bet you won't be disappointed....

Yes, I do move machines by myself but even someone to look for clearances and stand by to call 911 if something goes wrong is helpful. Last time I moved my lathe my wife was assisting and pointed out something I hadn't seen that was keeping me from getting it where I wanted. An extra set of eyes and hands are very useful, especially if they have experience you don't.

John

Here is the contrivance I rigged up on the loader forks to set the trusses on my garage.
I returned these beams too.
Uh, People that return stuff after USING it chap my HIDE! I don't think you got the Gist.

No one else is going to buy the lumber with screw holes in it, They either had to discount it or throw it away, These things drive up the cost for everyone else who don't pull those kind of Shenanagans.

And that setup looks sketchy to me, Mostly the way it's attached with straps.

The fact that you would return used lumber back to Home Depot says a lot about you.
Here is another little project I did.
It was sorta like rigging but not quite.
The old14x22' garage had to go to make room for the new one. Rather than tear it down I lifted it up and set it on my trailer. Then hauled it 120 mi up to our property.
I did not return any lumber from this project. I used in in the new garage.
A man can do a lot if he puts his mind to it - and is not afraid...

Attachments

• IMG_20161023_094529487.jpg
    IMG_20161023_094529487.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20161023_105524_1.jpg
    20161023_105524_1.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20161024_135402.jpg
    20161024_135402.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 19
A man can do a lot if he puts his mind to it - and is not afraid...
You might be surprised I agree with you. It is clear that you have great ingenuity.

However advice to a novice needs to be tempered - you don't know what the OP's abilities and experience.

I have no doubt you or I could do the OP's thing. The trick is how to advise a novice what to do safely with unknown experience.

You might be surprised I agree with you. It is clear that you have great ingenuity.

However advice to a novice needs to be tempered - you don't know what the OP's abilities and experience.

I have no doubt you or I could do the OP's thing. The trick is how to advise a novice what to do safely with unknown experience.

Dabbler,
Thanks.
I do understand what you're telling me.
What grieves me is to see how much of that ingenuity we have lost as a nation.
So many men can't think their way to a solution to what is actually a simple problem.
The ingenuity is latent in them of course but has never been exercised.
Then you take a forum like this and a man who might do a thing gets talked out of it by 'helpful' people who are too fearful to try it them selves.
One more thing before I go.
Here are some mock-up photos of how I lifted my lathe.
Adjust the 2x4 blocks by the lead screw, etc as you begin to take a strain so the strap does not touch them.
The other thing is yes, lathes are top heavy.
I hooked the strap under the ways and ran them tight against the headstock. Then used a shackle. No way the lathe could tip.
I did have to use a small chain fall to lift the tailstock end as I raised the headstock to keep the lathe level.
Lastly, you may not approve but the strap I used was not rated for 4X the weight.
The tag on the strap says it's rated for 13,200 on a basket lift.
The lathe was 4000+ lbs so I was a little short.
Wink

Attachments

• 2023-01-21_11_17_52.jpg
    2023-01-21_11_17_52.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 2023-01-21_11_18_43.jpg
    2023-01-21_11_18_43.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 23
Lastly, you may not approve but the strap I used was not rated for 4X the weight.
We have all shaved the 4X thing. I just said it was good practice. Often I lift using 10X safety factor. Comes from 20 years as a Rope Rescue Instructor.

@Ultradog MN You got away with the lift that way.

Other members do NOT copy this way of wrapping the straps around the leade screw. Just because he got away with it, doesn't mean you can. Use the method I showed in post #24. it is far safer, and reduces all the risks.

The engine hoist's highest rating is rated when the extensions are all the way in for the legs and the lift, Pulling them out reduces capacity substantially.
Also remember the Harbor Freight load rating system is very accurate. If something is rated for 1,000 lbs, then it will fail at precisely 1,000 lbs. Remember, in China, they read right to left, so to arrive at that rating system is purely logical, but we think differently in the west and assume that the capacity is the safe handling capacity. It surely isn't.

This looks cute, but was actually quite violent. The photo doesn't tell the story of the trailer breaking free of the hitch (it was secure!) and being stopped from flipping by the safety chains when the mill hit the back end as the hoist failed and kicked out sideways. The hoist boom has a twist in it. I know the sound of bullets sizzling by, and the surprise of turning to be surrounded by shrapnel pockmarks that weren't there a second ago while spending my '04 holidays in Iraq. This ranks up there. This was a near miss that nearly became a Class A mishap. And it was all my stupid fault for thinking I could move a knee mill on an engine hoist because the guy I saw on YouTube make it look easy. I also didn't know how much lighter a Series 1 is than my mill. Ignorance is bliss when it works out, it's something else when it doesn't. One of the best outcomes for a catastrophe is being alive to fill out the insurance paperwork afterwards. Best avoid the whole mess, swallow some confidence, and ask for some extra hands.
IMAG0756.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back