How To Store And Organize A Centillion Drill Bits

I've got them at various spots throughout my shop. I have 115 pc. sets at my Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 5418 lathe and drill press. Have a set of stubby Norseman fractionals at my Tormach and a set import stubby fractionals at my Bridgeport/Jet mills. Also have a set of 1/2" - 1" by 1/32" 1/2" shank drills at the BP. Have some MT2/MT3 drills, carbide drills, and extended length ones in a tool chest drawer. Woodworking stuff (Forstener, brad point, augers, etc.) are in a separate cabinet drawer. Spare jobber/stubby length (1-60, A-Z, 1/16" - 1/2") are in plastic drawer organizers. Have a set of LH and metric drills on top of those cabinets. And yes, I'm looking hard at picking up 3 HUOT index boxes for the stuff in plastic drawers.

Bruce

#1-60 (some 61-80 in front), LH/Metric sets on top. A-Z in the middle, 1/16" - 1/2" on the right. Have size checkers at the cabinets too.
20201006_172431.jpg

Set of import stubby fractional at the BP. Just a peek of a rack with 1/2" - 1" by 1/32" in the background
20201006_172459.jpg

MT2/MT3 drills, some carbide and long-shank drill
20201006_172517.jpg

115 pc. index at the G0709 lathe
20201006_172542.jpg

Norseman stubby set of fractionals at the Tormach
20201006_172603.jpg

115 pc. set at the drill press
20201006_172634.jpg

Another 115 pc. set at the Clausing lathe
20201006_172655.jpg

Woodworking stuff in a cabinet drawer
20201006_172720.jpg

@Liljoebrshooter I have been trying to find some used MT drill bits, but can't find any around my area. Looked in a few of the pawn shops and such but not a single one. What is your secret for finding them if I may ask. Ebay is ridiculous.

Penn Tools has a three cabinet Hoyt set for $288 which includes the 1/6"-1/2" in 64th cabinet, 1-60 Numbered cabinet and the A-Z Letter cabinet.

GOOD GRIEF!!! Looks like the Craigslist dude in Phoenix is WAY overpriced!

GOOD GRIEF!!! Looks like the Craigslist dude in Phoenix is WAY overpriced!
Wow, No S***, most are way to high for me...why use such expensive storage for drill bits...Just Wondering...

Its really nice, but I like to eat and drink alot of beer sometimes,

Tim:)

I think I have a plan here after thinking about the cost of drill bit storage.
Soup cans would work but I don't eat soup and if I started, by the time I had enough cans for drill bits I could buy a nice drawer setup...:abnornal:
Cardboard is good to, but If I spilled beer on it , then what?
Every one had some good ideas...
My wife just told me where I could put my drill bits,,, Thats Not Nice To Say To Me Honey...o_O
No Disrespect to anyone... But I still have a plan I think...I'll need to sleep on it for awhile..

Tim:)

@BGHansen I think you have some room for a couple of more. You know, you might qualify as an over achiever! ;)
Yeah, lots of drill bits, taps and end mills because I break them or even wear them out on occasion. ;)

I've been tracking eBay item# 291589889286 from seller "toolguys2". It's for 3 new Huot index boxes (1-60, A-Z, 1/16 - 1/2) shipped for under $215. Many sellers on eBay have the 1/16 - 1/2 drawer units for under $75 shipped. In fact, just pulled the trigger while typing this reply. Look for a new arrangement on the "What did you buy today" once they arrive.

Bruce

@Liljoebrshooter I have been trying to find some used MT drill bits, but can't find any around my area. Looked in a few of the pawn shops and such but not a single one. What is your secret for finding them if I may ask. Ebay is ridiculous.
I just bought a very large lot of them, 80 drills. I was missing quite a few sizes so I decided to take a chance buying a bunch.
I am going to have many extra ones that I plan on trying to sell. Almost every one is made in the US no junk.
Do you know what sizes you're looking for?
Joe

I just bought a very large lot of them, 80 drills. I was missing quite a few sizes so I decided to take a chance buying a bunch.
I am going to have many extra ones that I plan on trying to sell. Almost every one is made in the US no junk.
Do you know what sizes you're looking for?
Joe

As I have not found any, I am open to what ever you might have to sell.
Thank you. Please, once you have gone through them, let me know what you don't want and I maybe able to take them all off your hands in one sale.
Regards,
Patrick

Back