How To Remove Oil From Oilite Bronze Bushing Material?

To remove the oil from an Oilite bushing.
1) wait til wife will be out for a few hours
2) put newspaper on a tray or piece of sheet metal
3) put bushing on newspaper and put in oven at 250 degrees for 1/2 hour
4) (Very Important) take bushing out to cool and open any doors and windows.
5) ( Doubly Important) Spray air freshner in room and clean everything
6) Leave kitchen exactly as found

Why remove the oil ???
I have add oil to oilite bushing it the way they work

Dave

To remove the oil from an Oilite bushing.
1) wait til wife will be out for a few hours
2) put newspaper on a tray or piece of sheet metal
3) put bushing on newspaper and put in oven at 250 degrees for 1/2 hour
4) (Very Important) take bushing out to cool and open any doors and windows.
5) ( Doubly Important) Spray air freshner in room and clean everything
6) Leave kitchen exactly as found

She will totally know something happened in the kitchen.

I would not want to find out how sensitive Her nose is when She bakes the next time. Being drawn and quartered and baked would not be pleasant. It would solve several of Her problems, and all of Mine.

I think I would use the oven with fan run wend wife is not home first. Then would never ever do that agin or better not do in the first place.
Note you can buy a toaster over for about $20.00 on sale it is a lot cheaper than new oven.
You can set the toaster oven out side with very long cord very low cost to the ears and new oven.
I have found out the hard way my wife has very good nose today I DO NOT USE CUTTING OIL and have new can for last 20 years on the shelf.

Good luck
Dave

I would not want to find out how sensitive Her nose is when She bakes the next time. Being drawn and quartered and baked would not be pleasant. It would solve several of Her problems, and all of Mine.

I have made many brass tires for wooden cannon wheels out of 3-5-6 inch oilite bearing bronze from the scrap yard. I place it on a ceramic brick and heat with a propane torch until red then let cool. The oil will literally run out all over the fire brick and start burning off-once red I let it air cool-wipe off the soot put in the 3 jaw and turn the ID and OD then part off, I like the look of oilite for my tires and it will not completely polish with all the oil retaining pits and the cannon looks well traveled on the rims. I wash the final produce in lacquer thinner after polishing and have never had any oil migrate out.

I made wheels for a signal cannon out of bronze. They look great and gaining nice patina every day. Interesting machining bronze. It makes what looks like little flakes as it cuts, never a long thread.

Every shop should have a thrift store toaster oven. I think I paid $5 for mine.

Back