How To Hold It?

Probably lasts longer, Jim. Mating tapers should be superior.

I guess I could have been clearer in my explanation. But it looks pretty good. I use a screw that goes in a countersink. 82 or 90 degrees and countersink it almost as deep as the head. I also cut In at the base so there's a radial groove to maybe? Allow it to expand easier.

Now I am curious how many of these are you planning on making?

Bill,

I guess you mean how many wheels and not how many arbors? I plan to make 12 spoked wheels. I guess you are thinking, as am I, holy cow that is going to be a lot of tedious RT work!

If I was finished with one wheel after the initial milling that would be one thing. But, then I need to switch to a chamfer cutter and follow the five spokes. "Ya, I love how they look but oh boy this is a bunch of work!" And, "man I wish it was inexpensive, quick and easy to convert my mill to CNC".

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking you were planning on selling them online and building up your inventory. Maybe you can find a buddy with a CNC mill to cut all those cavities.

They do look good.

Bill,

I wanted to do a spoked wheel just to learn how to do it for myself, and my brother-in-law wanted me to make him the new wheels but I was the one that said, "oh sure, no problem, let's make them 5 spoked so they look good" I will probably do them myself, even though I do actually have a friend very near that has converted his mill and could do them quite easily. I may end up doing one or two set of three with simple bolt circle lightening holes. My biggest issue to solve now is putting a nice finished chamfer on the edges of the spoke and radii of the inner and outers. I am learning how much work all the "little" detail adds!

Jim

They do look nice and strong. Pride is in the details. Some of us will be touching a part up until they take it away from us. I was told polishers that finish plastic molds never get finished because there is always one section that needed touching up till they haul the mold out of the shop.

Have a nice week

when I did mold making for plastic bottle molds we had to polish them till they had a mirror finish with no visible hair line scratches. If you saw a scratch when polishing you had to go back to sand paper and using several grits work your way back to polishing. It sometimes became a long process.

I had heard that too. Plastic shows everything. One of my instructors told the class women were good at it because they had more patience and stronger fingers. As you know that class of tool steel is extra tough to begin with. I don't think I could do it. I was doing good to hand finish aluminum form blocks when I was working in St.Louis. They would assign me a rough cut block of aluminum and a steel template with instructions. At least they paid well for doing it. The blocks were used in hydro-form press to wrap a sheet of aircraft grade aluminum to shape the blocks. About a year and half later the whole project was scraped.

Back