How To Hold It?

RVJimD

Active User
Registered
image.jpg

I am trying to figure out how to hold this in the lathe. What about putting a dowel pin in each jaw so the pins don't interfere with the spokes like the full jaw? I need to put a shallow groove in the outside for the O ring.

I have tried to use a stub of delrin but the wheel slips on the arbor. I guess I could make a 3/4" arbor and thread it?

But, has anyone done dowel pins in the jaws? I would need to turn it real fast, just getting the holes drilled in the jaws all in the same place might be tough.

Jim

Could you make an expanding arbor for the centre?

An expanding arbor would work. Another thing you could do is make an arbor with a backing large enough to put a pin toward the outside edge that would fit between the spokes and a cap to tighten the wheel. The pin would keep the wheel from slipping on the arbor.

If you have a 5ccollet nose you could use an expanding 5c collet.

Expanding collet sounds good but I don't have a 5C. The pin idea sounds very good!

Jim

I have some expanding arbors if you want to borrow one. If you don't have 2 piece jaws I'd hate to see you drill into your jaws

Ya, I did some more searching and instead of drilling the jaws it seems like making soft jaws would be better.. Although not a perfect solution for this operation.

If you have 2 piece jaws. You can can machine the all to fit the top jaws., then turn it down to Id of the center. Then expand the jaws out to grab it.

Just make an expanding arbor put a piece of round metal in the lathe a little larger then the Id. Drill and tap and countersink the end for a socket head screw. Make a grove at the base of it to allow the mandrel to expand. Then take it out and cut a few slits lengthwise. Put it back in cut the od to match the part. Put a screw in and your done. Put the part on and put in screw and tighten.

I just did something similar with a flywheel I am working on. I made a two piece mandrel, as diagrammed below. The hole in the mandrel base is tapped, the hole in the retaining plate is a clearance hole. Hopefully the diagram is relatively clear.
flywheel mandrel.jpg

Back