How to find good help in a production machine/toolmaker shop

Jim F

Registered
Registered
How do we go about finding good help nowdays,
all but 1 in our shop are old and getting close to retirement age.
Tried a few hires that did not work out.
Can't seem to find young people that will work, have any idea about mechanical theories, can't even count, let alone follow directions......

Contact some trade schools in your area. If you already did that, search further out. Could be that a promising person for the job is too far away and would need to move to your area. It's hard these days to find qualified workers.

Oh, if I was younger and single. :)
But I'm a decrepit old fart. If I might suggest, mechanics in dealerships get tired of flat rate, spending half their paycheck on the toolt truck. They're not usually dumb, they're used to a bit of hustle and may have even built a few motors. And that kind are usually older which is a plus.

To bad you are in Pennsylvania. I am looking for work. Where I am now for the past 19 years is closing shop in California. 40 plus years as a Mold Maker and Prototype Machinist.

I feel your pain. I looked for a year to try and find somebody. To no avail. I literally had 5 applications in that year. Nothing even close to what we were looking for.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Contact some trade schools in your area. If you already did that, search further out. Could be that a promising person for the job is too far away and would need to move to your area. It's hard these days to find qualified workers.
We have a school in town, grads think they are 20yr exp programmers and expect that pay.
The ones who came by a few years ago, did not know how to square up stock.......

Oh, if I was younger and single. :)
But I'm a decrepit old fart. If I might suggest, mechanics in dealerships get tired of flat rate, spending half their paycheck on the toolt truck. They're not usually dumb, they're used to a bit of hustle and may have even built a few motors. And that kind are usually older which is a plus.
Boss told me today he might have a lead on a mechanic, but only part-time...

I understand what you are going through. My one full time farm help is in his sixties and will be retiring one of these days. Just finding some one who will show up to work is hard now days. With labor laws the way they are it’s hard to even have someone under eighteen work on the farm.

Back