How to find good help in a production machine/toolmaker shop

My generation is a bunch of lazy people who over estimate themselves, for instance, there was multiple kids complaining about getting paid $17-20 and hour to push mow lawns for companies, I get paid $12 and hour for stacking hay bales and they try to say push mowing is so difficult, it’s dangerous and underpaid, they just love to whine. Can’t wait for them to realize $20 and hour is great pay for easy work, or they most likely never will.
Things have changed a bit since I was a kid. We bailed hay, cleaned hog pens, spread manure, and combined wheat for $.70 and hour and were happy to have the job. The competition was stiff as there were more kids willing to work than there were jobs that needed to be filled.

To be fair prices have also gone up a bit. During the gas wars regular gasoline was as low as $.19 a gallon. You could buy an older dependable car for $50.00 and drive the wheels off it. Over the years I bought several cars in that price range. I'd drive them until I got bored with them, sell them for the same price I bought them for and find another. A McDonalds hamburger was $.15, fries were $.10, and a Coke was $.10. You could get a quick meal for less than half a buck.

There was a time not that long ago when I was hiring ASE Master Certified auto technicians (in those days it was NAISE) for less than the kids are getting today to mow the lawn. Today the same certification can get you a job paying up to $80,000.00 a year.

I am very open to branching out. I was a Mold maker For 20 years. Then most of the shops went to Mexico or got most molds made in China late 90’s. Then I got into the rapid prototype machining and secondary operations. Making and designing lots of jigs and fixtures.

I just have to find the right company that is looking for my experience . It will take time. I will find something.

Cutting oil is my blood.
Don't know if this works anymore but used to be showing up first thing Monday morning would get you in the door. Almost always someone who didn't show up on time for the last time....

Have to know what company you want though.

John

Don't know if this works anymore but used to be showing up first thing Monday morning would get you in the door. Almost always someone who didn't show up on time for the last time....

Have to know what company you want though.

John

I had an interview yesterday that went well. I have another tomorrow. The first place is kind of lowballing me to start out with a raise after 90 days. I had to go take a drug test before they could talk more. The one tomorrow is offering good pay to start. I will have to see how that pans out. It is a longer drive down through Los Angeles.

Both have good things and not so good. It would be nice to get official offers from both. One would be fine by me from either one.

I sent out 10 resumes last week. I will send out more next week if these 2 interviews don’t pan out.

Cutting oil is my blood.

I had an interview yesterday that went well. I have another tomorrow. The first place is kind of lowballing me to start out with a raise after 90 days. I had to go take a drug test before they could talk more. The one tomorrow is offering good pay to start. I will have to see how that pans out. It is a longer drive down through Los Angeles.

Both have good things and not so good. It would be nice to get official offers from both. One would be fine by me from either one.

I sent out 10 resumes last week. I will send out more next week if these 2 interviews don’t pan out.

Cutting oil is my blood.
Good luck.

We are in dire need, our lathe "programmer" is as worthless as **** on a boar......
Takes 2 weeks to grind some roll forms.

Took 2 days to set-up a lathe, for parts we have made for 20+ yrs...........

Back