How to Convince my Parents to get a metal planer

Buying a machine like this is similar to buying a house as far as total expense is concerned. Over the life of the house the initial investment is around 20% or less of the cost of owning it. Like the house the machine needs maintenance and repair. It also needs tooling much like a house needs furnishing.

As mentioned in a previous thread I purchased a 1942 US Machine Tools #1 horizontal mill years ago. The cost was less than 10% of todays asking price of the Atles mentioned earlier in this thread, but the "cost to own and operate" is significantly higher than the initial cost. I probably have at least 10 times the original cost invested in the tooling needed to run it. Keep in mind the machine I purchased was only 60 years old and parts and tooling are still available. I doubt the same could be said for a 160 year old machine.
The nice part about a planer/shaper is there IS no special tooling! Its just bars of HSS.

I also find on stuff that old that parts availability becomes less of a concern than with modern stuff; Its pre-CNC so stuff tends to be designed to be made more simply, and thus repaired more simply.

One example is the inside of my surface grinder. EVERY part on the inside of it is either available off-the-shelf at Home Depot, or is "block of steel with holes cut in it". My shaper is the same way. BUT, the issue is of course always bevel-gear type things.

i agree a small atlas shaper would be far better spent, and actually worth something next month

Braeden P,
I just noticed this thread, and it is interesting of all the responses. my response is maybe different than others. I think wanting a small planer is a very smart investment, but I wish you lived closer to Lester's place so you could get one in better shape and complete. $200 for the one you are looking at is well worth the investment and a fun project to take on. just as a work table it would be worth $200. I believe owning heavy iron is a big help in planing a stable future. you will always be looking to own a secure home with a good shop to secure your tools and projects. I have always owned my homes and always had shops for my enjoyment and projects. as far as old small planers and shapers, there will always be a market for them by hobby machinists because of their facinating simplicity and simple cheap tooling. I still have a nice Atlas 7B shaper, but no planer---if I were younger I would get Lester's planer. I still have a Parks A87 combination mill special that was made in very early 1900's for wagon makers. not many left in use. I bought it in 1974 ---- used it a lot and it is still usable. I like watching your interests and replies and I wish you luck in your quest.
Dave

I do not agree with buying this machine, it is hand powered, in poor condition and is presumably missing the cross rail and tool slide, it is pretty much useless. Money would be better spent on a small shaper or mulling machine.

One example is the inside of my surface grinder. EVERY part on the inside of it is either available off-the-shelf at Home Depot, or is "block of steel with holes cut in it". My shaper is the same way. BUT, the issue is of course always bevel-gear type things.
My Atlas shaper is not that way. The ratchet feed box seems to be a weak point as the first several shapers I saw those along with the belt covers were missing. I’ve seen much simpler feed setups on other shapers. What I keep finding is I usually need what that machine does to fix it. Like the lathe to fix the lathe etc. and it would seem the weak point on planer is the ways. And there it would seem the best way to fix them is with a planer.

Don’t get me wrong, if a nice reasonable size planer showed up locally in useable shape at a decent price I’d definitely be sorely tempted. Besides useful they are just too cool.

Braden, do not rush to buy the first Planer you run into, things to consider are foremost, condition, then being complete and operational, then size, at least 20 or 24" between the housings and most importantly length of cut, at least 5 or 6 ft to be able to do useful work, do not settle for less.

Braden, do not rush to buy the first Planer you run into, things to consider are foremost, condition, then being complete and operational, then size, at least 20 or 24" between the housings and most importantly length of cut, at least 5 or 6 ft to be able to do useful work, do not settle for less.
He did get one recently.

John

My budget for any machine right now is $440 and unless I get really lucky I don’t think I’m getting a mill for that little.

When the awesome deal come along on a pristine mill at a killer price you will have blown all your money on the planer. And even if you have accumulated more money for the mill by the time it comes along you will not have a place to put it because the planer is taking up all the space.

I am 56 and I am just coming to terms with not having to buy every cool old machine that comes along at an incredible price... you have the opportunity to learn that lesson younger then I did. Before you find you are spending all your time restoring old machines and never have any time to actually use them!

When you move to your own place, if it is a considerable distance from your parents place, you will find that old machines are often more expensive to have moved than they are worth and when starting a new job it is often prohibitive to move all those old machines yourself.

...just some friendly advice from an old tool junkie.

Last edited:
Back