How to Convince my Parents to get a metal planer

1) tell them you will keep your room spotless as long as you live there.
2) you will only drive their car to the store and the library.
3) you will take complete care of all pets in the household, always.
4) tell them if you don’t get this planer, you will start dating.

I think you will be home free.

In the end Braeden, it's your call. Often, at least for me, the really valuable lessons come at a significant cost. I'm sure that no matter which path you take, you will learn something worth knowing. Cheers, Mike

Run this by your parents. You think you can buy this for $200 ? I’ll give you the money , you can use it while saving for a milling machine , when you don’t want it anymore I’ll come get no matter if you took it apart and gave up or a finished working machine , if you decide to keep it along with a mill when you get one you give me the $200 back . Al

Run this by your parents. You think you can buy this for $200 ? I’ll give you the money , you can use it while saving for a milling machine , when you don’t want it anymore I’ll come get no matter if you took it apart and gave up or a finished working machine , if you decide to keep it along with a mill when you get one you give me the $200 back . Al
Looks like the cool uncle just showed up...lol

Wow!
That old Enco suggested by "Uncle @Alcap" looks like a great find!
.....and maybe a much better use of your money.

You might even be able to negotiate it down to your $440 limit once the seller meets you and sees your youthful exuberance to learn machine work.

Brian

My budget for any machine right now is $440 and unless I get really lucky I don’t think I’m getting a mill for that little.
Buying a machine like this is similar to buying a house as far as total expense is concerned. Over the life of the house the initial investment is around 20% or less of the cost of owning it. Like the house the machine needs maintenance and repair. It also needs tooling much like a house needs furnishing.

As mentioned in a previous thread I purchased a 1942 US Machine Tools #1 horizontal mill years ago. The cost was less than 10% of todays asking price of the Atles mentioned earlier in this thread, but the "cost to own and operate" is significantly higher than the initial cost. I probably have at least 10 times the original cost invested in the tooling needed to run it. Keep in mind the machine I purchased was only 60 years old and parts and tooling are still available. I doubt the same could be said for a 160 year old machine.

Last edited:
Back