How to Convince my Parents to get a metal planer

Look at it this way, Keith Rucker has a rather large planer that he has a considerable amount of money and time into restoring. He runs a successful YouTube channel and would attract views for making any project using it. He has yet to publish a single video of anything done on it besides restoring it and testing it. And that is a guy that genuinely likes using vintage equipment. Think carefully about what you would use it for, and how often that would be used, and consider if there is a more modern machine that would be much more versatile.. Like a Mill....

Look at it this way, Keith Rucker has a rather large planer that he has a considerable amount of money and time into restoring. He runs a successful YouTube channel and would attract views for making any project using it. He has yet to publish a single video of anything done on it besides restoring it and testing it. And that is a guy that genuinely likes using vintage equipment. Think carefully about what you would use it for, and how often that would be used, and consider if there is a more modern machine that would be much more versatile.. Like a Mill....
I totally get jones’n for something and it is cool but watching planers at work I don’t see the need. My little shaper puts out a great finish, close to ground. Neither Keith’s nor David’s planer has produced that kind of finish. So if its going to need finishing on another machine I don’t see how it would be useful especially taking up so much shop real estate.

David Richards, Steam Powered Machine Shop guy got a good sized planer and went through a huge process of getting it going and I’ve not seen any projects that it has come in handy for while it seems his antique huge boring mill seems to catch more work second only to his two old lathes.

In this case if I was in the parents shoes I’d be voting against the boat anchor too even though I get the attraction. Especially if there is no already completed projects.

Save your money, unless it is nearly a giveaway, by the looks of it, it should be a giveaway.

There is a place near me called rough and tumble, they have an old machine shop and I will have to see if I could bring it there once it’s done since they would probably be fine with it there since they have a lot of “boat anchors” that they use a lot.

My budget for any machine right now is $440 and unless I get really lucky I don’t think I’m getting a mill for that little.

No. Once its done might be 15 to 20 years in the future (Ask me how I know. I have a 69 Mach1 that has been in pieces since 1988.. The odds of you finishing it in the 2-4 years before you have no place to work on it. Nil.

Guy wants $400 but it’s easy to negotiate with him I could probably get it for $200
$400 would be completely out of the question. Maybe, and I mean maybe $100, but even then I am not sure it would be worth it.

$400 would be completely out of the question. Maybe, and I mean maybe $100, but even then I am not sure it would be worth it.
I tend to agree. I’m not swayed by just ‘cuz it’s old, it’s ultimately useful. I’m sorry Breaden, i get you really love this thing. There was one here local and it was bought by a member. I don’t doubt he’ll be able to fix it but it sounds like it needs some serious work as the ways are in really bad shape. I’m sure this isn’t going to change your mind but as one who’s spent many weeks, days, months to fix up a dream only to find it lacking I wish you the best.

Back