How many of you are MACHINISTS for a living?

Started in 1957 as a vocational machine shop student. Hired in a job shop in 1960 and then hired in Goodyear Tire as a machinist in 1970 till I retired in 2002. Ran almost every type of manual machines didn't care for tape or computer controled machines. Old school is the term now I guess.

:hi: Ran my first metal lathe in Jr High Metal Shop in 7th grade. Machine Trades in Vo Tech school ( graduated in '78 with Top Honors in my class), a few years as an Iron Worker where I learned more about fabricating and became a certified welder. Then back into the Machine Trades. I guess counting Tech School, I've been doing this for about 35 years.

I program when necessary and set up/run all the CNC mills and lathes plus run akk the manual mills and lathes. Biggest CNC mill is a retrofitted Cincinatti horizontal with a 100" x 60" x 25" (XYZ) table powered by a 30 hp motor. Our big CNC lathe is Daewoo Puma 600 with a 21" hydraulic chuck, 12 station tool turret ( it'll take a 3" boring bar ) and is 60 hp. Our gap bed lathe is a Sigma which will accept a 38" diameter.

My thoughts exactly, and it's also nice to know that you professionals enjoy your work so much that you are on here in your spare time as well..

Bernard

I have quite a few machines at home. Much more relaxed atmosphere at home :phew:

I am, began cutting chips in 1990, made my tuition through college making molds, then worked procuring and designing tooling until 2004 when I opened my shop. Since then just making the hardest of chips until a kid comes and programs a full robot and this world forgetts.

I start my shop 1973 till 911 2001 work as Journeyman repair machinist in the union till 2009.

Dave

I am a Journeyman Machine Tool Builder / Rebuilder and with my trade I do Machining, Repair, Rigging, Machinery Moving, Welding, Scraping, etc. I have also taught several thousand students how to scrape. Thanks for letting me pass on my trade and help the Machine Tool Industry grow again.

24 year certified tool&die maker/moldmaker/cnc programmer..

I hired in as a machinist apprentice at the Boeing company in 1985 and have been there ever since. I currently setup, program and run a 5 axis Mazak veriaxis.

I suppose I could qualify myself maybe as lifetime. When kids were running around playing
base ball I was turning armatures for my father back in the 6vt days. That was my first
lathe. That grew into a Souix Falls valve a seat grinding machine then to a brake drum
lathe. The golden days of real auto parts stores, every one had a machine shop. I wonder
how many remember those oiled wooden floors in there? I would say the kid follows his
father, although I was not allowed shop in high school -he called it dumb bell school??
I encouraged my two, to take shop when they were in school. so im still doing it.

Began Machining in 1983 when I attended the US Navy Machinery Repairman Class "A" School in San Diego, Did my apprenticeship and became a Journeyman Mold maker (Plastic). Began Programming CNC Machines to produce mold Cavitys and Electrodes, Currently Program, set up, and operate an Okuma Mutlus B400w 5axis Mill Turn, a Yasda CNC Jig Borer,Makino VMC with a 5 Axis trunnion table, Fadal VMC's, Dawoo Puma with live tooling ect. ect.

There's some good talent here, I'm lucky to have your acquaintance, I'm going to learn all I can. :thumbsup:

They've been paying me to make chips for 35+ years. Job shops and manufacturing, manual machines and CNC. Now I'm working in an 8 man shop with some manual and some CNC machines; work on parts 100 pounds up to 5 tons.

I got a couple HF lathes and a mill at home to play with. I post here infrequently, but I lurk often.

Ed Hoc

Back