How many of you are MACHINISTS for a living?

Let's make this scientific. I just posted a poll here

[thread]9452[/thread]

Well I guess I have to be different.
I'm a Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic, and Millwright., but I love to play with the machines, so I'm a hobbiest.
Always loved to make things, some useful others not so much. The biggest joy I have is trying to make something, wheather I have a use for it or not, i'ts fun trying.

35+ years as a machinist and CNC programmer before the company was sold and they decided they could hire several younger people with college degrees for what I made. So they gave me a years severance to go away.

27 years as a machinist before retiring 17 years ago that makes 44 years and still at it.

"Billy G" :lmao:

Toolmaker in training. been in the trade for around ten years inluding voc school, mostly production.

Been making chips since I was 10 years old. Decided to be an design engineer instead of machinist. But stayed in the trade helping my dad on weekends when he needed help until he passed away 18 years ago. My brother and I took over his business part time for another ten years decided we had enough. We downsized to where we both have our own garage home shop, where we still do a little of machine work for people we known for many years.

I've been working at this trade for over 41 years now. Most of it at a local paper mill near home, it's the old school kind of work. No CNC's etc.
Still love what i'm doing. I'm new to this forum but i have enjoyed it. Arky

I was a machinist for around 15 years. CNC's took the fun out of the trade for me, so I went another direction. I usually found the oldest meanest guys in the shop. I hung around them, and took their abuse untill they took me under their wings. They showed me how to get things done. That also made me into a dinosaur that mostly had experence on manual machines. When I fianlly got into CNC machines late in my career, I hated it so I moved on.

Tool & Moldmaker for 31 years, been designing along with building them for the last 15 years or so.

Back